Hearts and The Heartless

Chapter Two: Emily Meet Family

As soon as they arrived back into her wardroom, there were four people already in there. They were all crying happily to see her finally conscious.
“Emily!! Oh, you’re finally wake up! I thought I was never going to see you again!” a plump woman, red-haired and wearing a baby blue blouse hugged her tightly.
“Welcome back, honey!” a tall man, with silvery moustache, and bald-headed took turn to hug her after the woman.
“My adorable sister! You look terrible, by the way.” Followed by a young man, short light brown-haired, wearing a polo shirt to hug her in pieces. The other was another guy, but his face was merely visible as he stood in the dark most of the time. They were all seemed happy, but crying at the same time, and they were talking and talking but Emily could not understand a word they were saying. She blinked a few times, sometimes frowned, trying to register their faces in her mind.
“I’m sorry, but who are you?”
Her sudden question made silence fell into the room.
“Honey, it’s me, mom. Don’t you remember?”
Emily studied the face of the plump woman who claimed to be her mother. Then she shook her head. The woman gasped in surprise.
“Emily, honey. This is your dad speaking.” This time the silvery moustache man spoke. Still Emily couldn’t remember anything. She shook her head again and look down to her feet.
“Well, the doctor did warn us.” Said the polo shirt guy suddenly. As he spoke on, a woman came in, wearing a white cloak with a stethoscope clinging on her neck.
“Hi, I’m Emily’s doctor, my name is Dr Strokes.” She started to shake everybody’s hand the moment she came in.
“I noticed you walked past the nurse station 15 minutes ago, but I assumed you just wanted to get some fresh air,” she paused.
“I did, but..” Emily snapped but then paused when Dr Strokes snapped back.
“It could be dangerous wandering off alone without any surveillance from anyone, you know.” She scribbled on her board while she talked.
“Someone was watching over me that time,” Emily answered her.
“Yes, I bet they were. So, I’m here to clarify your health condition and to explain to you how lucky you are to still be alive after three years in a coma.”
The plump lady who claimed to be her mother burst into tears suddenly. Then the guy in polo shirt calmed her down.
“If you could just sit on your bed, I have to check on your blood pressure.”
Dr Strokes began to use her instrument to check on Emily’s blood pressure as soon as she sat on her bed. Then she continued to check her tongue, her eyeballs, and mostly everything. Dr Strokes looked a little annoyed, and sarcastically bummed accepting the fact that Emily had been missing for fifteen minutes ago.
“You are healthy. It’s just your left side of brain experienced a little damage that caused you to go through amnesia. Your heart also in good condition, which I’ve checked it yesterday. You are suffering from “dissociative amnesia” that means you’re unable to recall information, such as your name, your adress etc. The memory is stored in long term memory, but access to it is impaired because of psychological defense mechanism.”
Dr Strokes paused, and studied the look on Emily’s face, who frowned at her.
“What I meant to say was, your memory is still in there, but your brain could not recall them.” She paused again and then threw glances at everyone in the room.
“Your condition will not harm anybody Emily, in fact, there were no complications occurred while you were still in coma. The good thing is, your amnesia can be cured. You just have to be around the place that you’ve been before. The more memories you had in the place, the better.”
Emily glanced down at the doctor’s nametag. Dr Evelyn Strokes. Her name sounded so graceful, which was the opposite of her attitude.
“Doctor, where is River and who is he actually?” Emily’s voice sounded as though she was whispering, but she did not intend to.
“River? I don’t know any River.”
“But he was with me a while ago. He walked with me in the hospital park.”
Dr Strokes frowned.
“I didn’t notice you were there with someone.”
“I told you someone was watching over me...”
“Hem, doctor, when can we take her home?” suddenly the silvery moustache man spoke.
Dr Strokes spun around.
“I guess, today would be okay, but Emily still need to go through other tests. You need to bring her here once a month.”
The family looked happy. They were all cheered up but Emily didn’t.
“I don’t know any of you, why...why should I go with you?” she stuttered.
The plump lady burst into tears again.
“Emily, your mom is very upset right now, and if you’re not coming home with us, she might kill herself.”
Emily stared at the one who just spoke. It’s a guy-but not the polo shirt guy-he mainly said nothing during their conversation in the ward regardless with the doctor or with each other. This guy seemed younger than her, his face looked a lot like River but younger. He looked more like Keanu Reeves in Speed.
“River?” she whispered, but sounded so clearly in the room.
Everyone paused, mouth-open in horror struck.
“What did you call me?” the guy frowned, with curiosity piled high. Then Emily saw his eyes, it wasn’t turquoise blue anymore, it was hazel. Seconds later, Emily shook her head and looked down.
“Time to go home honey.”