Hearts and The Heartless

Chapter Six: Lost and Confused

THE OCEAN BREEZE went smoothly passed her. The place felt so peaceful, she even fell asleep on a boulder. When she opened her eyes, it wasn’t the beach anymore. It was somewhere else. She was in a room, lying on a bed. Sat up straight, she looked around. She thought, hopefully, she’s still in that house, until she heard something in the kitchen. Slowly she paced her way into it and found a man with his back facing her.
“River?” she spoke in husky voice.
“Ah, you’re awake.” He turned around and from what Emily saw he was holding a spatula, and was wearing an apron.
“You look…funny,” she chuckled. River looked down to himself.
“Ha-ha. Come here, have a breakfast. I made some waffles with pancakes on it, your favorite.”
Emily glanced at the plate he just shoved to her.
“Really? Looks delicious.”
“Well, eat up honey. You don’t want to be late to your Monday Meeting right?”
Emily froze. Monday Meeting? What is that?
“Monday Meeting…?”
“Yeah, you told me that you have a meeting every Monday morning. Ring any bell?”
“But River, I…”
“Oh, God. I’m late too.” He kissed her lightly on the lips but enough to make her spine tingled, and disappeared. Emily frowned and her eyeballs were moving intensely, trying to find what exactly happened. Then she marched to the living room. The furnitures were no longer covered in white sheets, they were nicely decorated and the floor was no longer dusty. Then she realized that there was a fireplace built, which she hadn’t notice it yesterday. She frowned even more intensely, confused of what happened. She didn’t remember anything about herself yesterday, and now River expected her to get ready and go to a meeting? And today is Monday?
“Honey, you really going to be late if you just stand there..” River approached her with his hands fixing a tie on his white shirt. Emily stood motionless, waiting for him to come near.
“Hey, what’s wrong?”
She looked into his eyes for a while, they were exactly the same eyes she met at the hospital, but not exactly the same man.
“Sugar, what’s wrong?” this time he grabbed both of her shoulders gently and pulled her closer. She stared at his lips once in a while, then River took her jaw line and brought her lips closer to his. Emily felt shudder just went through her skin when River gently kissed her bottom lip. When she opened her mouth and tried to speak, River’s tongue entered. She felt even more shudder when he did that. Her knees weakened, and her hands were frozen. They were broke apart by the sound of a grandfather clock across the hallway.
“You should just stay home, Em. You look like you’re lost.”
“Well, I…”
“Hangovers do that often dear, so don’t worry. You’ll recover.” Then he disappeared again. Emily felt even more confused, hangovers? She didn’t even know what it means. Let alone what it feels like.