Hearts and The Heartless

Chapter Seven: First Memory

She could ring Murray right now, and ask him, whether it’s true that he’d just left her in the house yesterday? But she didn’t have his number. The daisies were still there, but the cards were gone. So as her suitcase she placed in the living room yesterday. Was this somekind of a game? She walked slowly along the beach, trying to find traces of her footprints yesterday. The beach didn’t look like a public beach, so there’s no one around but her. She looked up and saw a small lighthouse at the end of the shore. She smiled at it, for what reason she didn’t know. Then she moved on her pace towards the lighthouse until she was standing right beneath it. It looked even bigger when she was standing close to it.
“The lighthouse is the symbol of our love, Emily. We got married here, and we will have kids here.”
“Who said anything about having kids?”
River grinned to his wife. He kissed her nose slightly. His wife chuckled, and she wrapped her arms around him tighter.
“What if the lighthouse is not working anymore, River?”
“I’ll fix it.”
“Ooh, you can’t fix everything, can you?”
“Watch me.” Then he kissed her passionately, causing her to lie down on the ground. She was laughing, he was flirting, it was all clear to Emily’s view.

She opened her eyes widely, staring at the spot where she just saw River and herself kissing on the ground. The spot was deserted, it was all in her head.
“I remember…” she murmured to herself. “I remember…!” she thought to herself. Then quickly she ran back to the house and tried to find River.
“River! River, I remember!” she called. Her voice echoed like yesterday.
River was nowhere to be seen, and the floor was dusty again. The furniture were under white sheets again.
“River?” she hailed, but when she found the ‘Daisies’ cards were on the table again, she broke down to her feet. What the hell is happening? Is this house haunted or what? She didn’t have the answer, but the only thing she knew right now that she was crying for the first time, and she cried because River wasn’t there to hear her.