Multiple Choice

Choice C

I fell in love for the first and last time when I was in high school.

She was perfect. Beautiful, smart, funny. She was everything I could ever want. She even accepted me as I was. She didn’t care that I was a little strange.

She was the one.

Her father didn’t like that, though. Her mother had died when she was little and her father was too used to her taking care of the house. Making meals, doing laundry, listening and obeying him every second of the day.

I told her she was worth more. She eventually got to believe me. I was glad. She was so smart – she was capable of doing anything she wanted and I made sure she knew that. I wanted what was best for her, even if that was leaving after high school and not seeing me for four or more years.

I just wanted her to be happy.

Her father thought otherwise.

Her father was angry at her for having any kind of ambition. He wanted her to never leave. He took her for granted and assumed she would always be there to take care of his lazy ass. He didn’t want to have to pay for college when she wasn’t going to stick around.

I told her to apply for colleges anyway. She didn’t need to take her father’s shit any more. She didn’t need to take care of him – he needed to realize that he could survive without her just fine.

She was so happy the day she got accepted into every single college she applied to.

I was so happy for her. I knew she could do it.

We celebrated that night, drinking some champagne and making love on her couch.

When her father came back from work, he found both the acceptance letters on the counter and us on the couch.

He was not happy for either of us.

He yelled at both of us, telling his daughter that she needed to take care of her responsibilities at home and couldn’t afford to have silly dreams like going to college. He told me I was worthless, that all I succeeded in was corrupting his daughter, convinced that I was a bad influence on him.

He told us both that we needed to take important things more seriously, and that we were wasting our lives.

He knocked out my one true love and when I ran to her unconscious form, got out his pocket knife and told me he was going to teach me a lesson.

I told my love that we could run away together and that she didn’t have to live with her horrible father any more, but she couldn’t bear to kiss my mouth ever again.