Multiple Choice

Choice D

In my senior year of high school, I was named valedictorian.

My parents and relatives were proud. I was accomplished, unlike many of my family who only had just barely graduated high school.

I thought I was friends with a lot of people back then. One of those people was the salutatorian. I thought she was happy for me.

Unfortunately for me, her jealousy outweighed her friendship with me.

I was having the time of my life. I was the smartest person in my school and for once was accepted by the majority of the population of my school. I assumed it was the same for her.

Her family, though, was not happy with her ranking. They were competitive, and unlike my family had almost all been at the top of their class and gone to ivy league colleges. They were not satisfied with her being second best. They shunned her, disappointed, and for the first time in her life she was alone.

If only she had talked to me, it would have been different. I truly considered her one of my best friends, but she resented me and thought I was being too haughty and conceited about my accomplishment over her.

The difference between her and me with our studies is that I never let anything distract me from getting the work done. In summary, I had had no life for my almost four years of high school. She, on the other hand, enjoyed attention and partying a little too much to completely focus on her studies. I tried to explain to her that fault and that if she just took a break from her crazy lifestyle she would pull ahead of me in rank.

I would’ve gladly given her that.

But she just couldn’t give it up. One night after partying especially hard she came to my house. It was obvious she was on some kind of drug, maybe even more than one. I had never tried any though, so I didn’t know how to help her snap out of it.

She yelled incoherently at me. I couldn’t understand the words but the meaning was clear.

She was going to get revenge on me for being “better than her.”

I tried to convince her that what she was doing wasn’t necessary. She wasn’t better than me, she was much kinder and caring, and people always loved her automatically.

She didn’t listen to me. She asked me why I was so serious and told me I needed to loosen up a little bit.

Suddenly she had a knife and I was frantically trying to convince her to put it down. The drugs somehow made her stronger, and I was helpless against the piercing sharpness of the blade.

No colleges accepted me after that.