‹ Prequel: First You Fall

Excuse The Obscene

Easily

There’s a thin line between resistance that is sexy and resistance that is a fucking nuisance. Toni is dancing on that very fine line. I’ve been on edge since the day she returned and waking up alone this morning had done nothing to help my mood.

“Zack man,” Brian’s voice snapped me from my thoughts. “where’s your head? I’ve been talking for the past ten minutes and you’re giving me that blank stare.”

“Have you seen Toni?” I asked. All other problems could wait.

“Is that what’s got you so distracted? We need to deal with-” Brian stopped talking and his eyes moved over my head to look at something behind me. His frustrated look disappeared and was replaced with a smirk.

“Already leaving?” Brian asked and I turned to see what was going on behind me.

Drew stood in the foyer, bags in hand and heading towards the door. 24 hours ago this would have been a great improvement in my life. Now it was just a fucking hassle.

“Where the fuck do you think you’re going?” I walked slowly over to Drew and stood in front of him. I rose one eyebrow and waited for a response.

“Back to Jersey.” He held my gaze and I had to admit, the little fucker had balls.

I stepped closer to Drew and lowered my voice to a level that I knew people found intimidating.

“Let’s get this crystal fucking clear. I would love it if you just walked the fuck out that door but unfortunately for us both, Toni seems to want you around. And if that’s what she wants than you damn well better believe you’re going to fucking stick around until she’s done with you. Until then, you work for me.” I took a step back, not bothering to wait for a response.

I looked behind my shoulder and found the guys still there waiting for me.

“Let’s go. We’ve got business to deal with.” I nodded in the direction of my office before walking forward, knowing that the guys would all follow.

“No worries man.” I heard Jimmy say, presumably to Drew. “They gave me shit for weeks when I first showed up. Consider yourself lucky, you got to jump straight to the top of the food chain because of Toni. You’re getting off easy.” Jimmy laughed a little.

Jimmy’s mention of Toni had my thoughts swerving back to her and last night. She’s fucking insane if she thinks she can avoid me for long. I smiled a little to myself at that thought. Toni’s going to have to come back eventually and we’ll keep playing this game until she’s ready to give in.

I was yanked from my thoughts by the distant sound of the front door closing.

“We’re done here.” I declared, cutting off whatever it was Brian was saying.

Before Brian could fit another word in I was on my feet and heading out the door. I made it to Toni’s room just as she began to shut the door. I slid my foot into the door and Toni spun around quickly to face me.

“Can I come in?” I asked while gently pushing her backwards and letting myself in.

“Did you need something?” Toni turned away from me and walked towards her cabinet.

I was momentarily distracted by Toni slipping out of her light jacket, leaving her in just a small tank top. God what I wouldn’t give to have her do a strip tease right then and there. But that would have to wait.

“Are you going to make a habit of slipping out of bed early in the morning?” I asked nonchalantly as I worked my way closer to Toni.

“I went to have breakfast with Val.” She turned around to face me again, shrugging one shoulder.

“For that long?” I rose one eyebrow and looked down at her as I inched closer.

“I needed time to drive away by myself and think.”

“Really?” I asked. By now Toni was backed up against her drawer. I placed both of my arms on either side of her, trapping her between the drawer and my body. She didn’t push me away or object so I took that as a good sign.

“And what did you think about?” I asked softly, lowering my head so that my lips could connect with her smooth neck.

“This.” Toni pushed my head away from her neck and looked me in the eye. “And I decided that I’m willing to try to leave the past in the past so can move forward and have some sort of a professional friendship, like what you have with the guys and Val.”

I paused for a moment and just stared down at her.

“You’re giving me the ‘let’s be friends’ talk?” Part of me wanted to laugh at the insanity of it all but the other part of me was getting incredibly fucking frustrated with all the barriers Toni was putting up.

“Well we live together and work together so I thought it’d be great if we could at least attempt some sort of friends.”

“But friends don’t do the things I want to do to you.” I leaned down and whispered in her ear. I could feel Toni’s breathe quicken and I smirked to myself.

“I’ve made up my mind, Zack.” Toni’s hands came up and pushed me back a little.

“So have I.” I responded, leaning in closer again.

I was just sliding my hand up Toni’s side when a vibration against my leg distracted me.

“You going to answer that?” Toni asked, looking down at the outline of my vibrating phone in my pocket.

“No.” I bent my head towards her neck again.

Seconds later the door was thrown open and Toni ducked quickly out from under me.

“Sorry to break whatever this is up but we need to go.” Brian gestured to Toni and me and then to the door.

I glared and waited for Brian to leave the room before turning back to Toni.

“This isn’t finished.”

“There is nothing to finish.” Toni crossed her arms over her chest and stared right back at me.

“We’ll see.” I smirked, walking backwards out of the room.

Toni only responded by raising one eyebrow and shutting the door on me.

If it’s a game that she wants then I’m more than ready to play.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toni’s P.O.V.

“Why don’t you just take a knife and cut his dick off?” Val’s voice was oddly calm considering the words that were coming out of her mouth.

I had called her almost immediately to fill her in on what had happened since I’d left her this morning. As expected, she wasn’t taking the ‘friends’ proposal all that well.

“You’re being entirely insane about this whole thing. You and Zacky are inevitable and you want to try to be friends. Really Toni, what is this grade school?”

“Thank you so much for being a supportive friend and taking my side on this.” I said sarcastically.

“You’re welcome, hun.” I could practically hear the smirk in her voice. “But honestly, how long do you intend to drag this little game on before you just accept that you’re going to be together.”

“Val, we’re not fucking functional! We never have been. Maybe a friendship is all that I can afford to have with him.”

“Or maybe not. Maybe you’re really just fucking yourself over. And him in the process.”

“What we had before wasn’t healthy. We’re bad for each other's health.” I spoke quickly as I got worked up over the subject.

“Oh healthy. Fuck that. No relationship worth having is truly healthy. Sorry to break it to you but love fucking hurts. If you’re feeling nothing but rainbows and sunshine then you’re doing something wrong. It’s supposed to hurt sometimes, that’s the only thing that makes the good parts worth it. So what the two of you are dysfunctional. What is so wrong with that? You’re not exactly a normal couple so of course your relationship was dysfunctional. That’s a good thing Toni. What would you rather have? A nice, healthy boring relationship with some investment banker? 2.5 children and a white fucking picket fence? And then there’s Zacky. Do you want to see him with some simple minded, thoughtless, girl that jumps at his every command. The two of you don’t need functional. You need each other.” Val ended her rant and I could hear her take a breath.

I sat there, phone still pressed against my ear, and thought about everything Val had just said. And once again I felt that old, familiar emotion creeping up on me. I knew this would happen if I moved back here. That part of me that I had suppressed for the past few years would force it’s way back to the surface. That small bit of love that I felt for Zacky and hadn’t been able to kill no matter how hard I tried. It was creeping it’s way back to the surface and if I didn’t stop it now falling back in love with him would happen all too easily.
♠ ♠ ♠
Under a month! Woot. I was originally going for under 10 days but...baby steps right?

I realized two things while I was writing this chapter.

1) I hate her name. No offense to any Toni's out there but I just don't know what I was thinking when I started this story ages ago. I suppose it would be all to confusing to try to go back and change her name now, yeah? It's a thought though.

2) This could go on for a while. It's already chapter 11 and the sequel (at least to me) hasn't even really begun. I have so many ideas and scenarios and situations planned for Zacky and Toni that this story could end up turning into one of those really obnoxiously long stories that people start to hate. I don't want that to happen. Maybe I'll take some of those ideas and put them into a different story (because I'm just so good at keeping up with this one of course). Or maybe I'll subject you all to a drawn out third installment. But once again I don't want this story to become so long and winded that it gets boring. Anyways I'll burn that bridge down when I get to it. It's still early on but it came to mind because I just realized I spent the last 3 chapters in a span of what, two days? Problematic?

Oh and last thing, once again I'm sorry for the short chapter. Anyone else notice these author messages are getting longer and the chapters are getting shorter? Don't worry I'll work on that.