‹ Prequel: First You Fall

Excuse The Obscene

Regret

Toni's P.O.V.

It is a very rare occasion for me to fuck up. This was turning into one of those rare occurrences.

"Oh my fucking God, Drew are you okay?" I scrambled to lift Drew's chair back up so that I could untie him.

None of this was going quite as I had planned. I hadn't planned on letting my one hostage go. I wasn't counting on losing my breath when I saw Zacky again. I sure as fuck hadn't expected to almost lose my sanity when Zacky had me pressed against the wall of his bedroom. No matter how much my mind was telling me to beat the shit out of him for my own safety, my body wanted to tackle him for entirely different reasons. Even after two years my body could still turn traitor on me.

"What the hell happened?!" I asked as I knelt in front of Drew trying to assess the most recent damage.

"You're asking me what the hell happened? You should be telling me what the fuck is going on?! How do you know these guys?" Drew asked, and my hands paused.

Maybe it was better that he stayed tied up while I explained.

"Drew, I swear, I no fucking idea that something like this would happen."

"Answer the fucking question, Toni?! Does this have anything to do with the shit that happened on the Cassidy job. Of course it does. Toni what the fuck is going on?" Drew was turning a little red with anger and was struggling against his bonds.

"Zacky and I used to be kinda involved." I looked away from Drew's eyes and instead turned my attention back to untying him.

Drew stopped struggling and paused for another few seconds.

"You used to be involved with Zacky fucking Vengeance. How the fuck do you not tell someone that Toni?!" Drew was shouting now.

"It never came up and it seemed like a trivial fact." I tried to shrug as if it really didn't matter.

"Trivial fact! Trivial fucking fact! 'I used to have a pit bull' is a trivial fact. 'I hate zoo animals' is a trivial fucking fact! 'I used to fuck around with Zacky fucking Vengeance is not a trivial fucking fact. You tell people that shit, Toni!" Drew yelled.

I didn't know whether or not to take the yelling as a good thing or not. The fact that he even had the strength to get so angry meant that at least he wasn't on his deathbed. I finished untying him as Drew seethed.

The door to the office open and I spun around expecting to see Zacky. Instead, Brian and Jimmy walked in.

"What the fuck do you want now? To kill us both." I prepped myself for a fight. If they wanted to kill me they would just have to come after me after I got Drew out of there. He was in no condition to fight for himself.

"Oh relax Toni. He didn't even get it that bad." Jimmy smiled at me as if this situation was all just so amusing to him.

"Are you fucking around? Look at him Jimmy."

"Yeah, nothing's broken so I'd say he got off pretty easy. And you know you're the only reason he's still breathing."

"But I can take care of that." Brian said, looking at Drew.

"I'm a little attached to the whole breathing thing so thanks but no fucking thanks." Drew said, struggling to his feet.

I swear to any fucking God that exists that Drew has no sense of self preservation.

"Look it's me you want to kill so just let him go. You all owe me that fucking much." I glared at the two, not moving from my tense stance.

"Kill you?" Jimmy asked, seeming to actually be shocked. "Why? So that Zacky could tear the entire fucking town to the ground?"

The mention of Zacky's name made me wonder where he was.

"What? Does Zacky want the joy of killing me himself?"

"Toni, no one wants you dead. Oh and by the way, against everyone else's judgment, I already called our doctor for your friend here."

I looked over at Drew just in time to see him slip into unconsciousness and hit the floor.
---------------------------------------------
Zacky's P.O.V.

It's taken me two fucking years to realize that I really have lost everything. Ironic that it was only when Toni came back that it fully hit me that I had lost her. When she wasn't here, when she wasn't in arms reach, I could almost delude myself into thinking that one day she'd come and we could be together again. When she wasn't here that one tiny ass piece of hope was enough to barely hold my life together. But I'd fucked up and maybe I really had lost her. I loved her and from what I could see she was in love with some other fucker. I should have killed him when I had the chance. He doesn't deserve her.

I put my car in drive and started back to my place. It'd been about an hour since I left and I hadn't bothered answering of the guys' calls. Pulling up in front of my house, I noticed a familiar car parked out front.

They wouldn't fucking dare.

I parked my car in the large garage full of various cars and made my way into the house. Jimmy was the first person I ran into on my way upstairs.

"Why the fuck is Caine here?" I asked, already guessing why the doctor was here.

Jimmy took a quick swig from the bottle in his hand before responding.

"The guy was practically falling apart and I didn't want Toni flipping out if he died of blood loss or some crazy shit like that."

"You just wasted Caine's time because I'm going to kill the fucker myself." I moved to go past Jimmy but he stopped me by stepping front of me.

I glared up at him and he took a few small steps backwards.

"Zack, I know what you're thinking and you got it all wrong. I asked Toni about him and the two aren't even involved like that. Killing him won't help your cause any."

I searched Jimmy's face for any sign that he might be lying but he just stared openly back at me.

"I don't fucking care." I said after a moment. "I'm still going to kill him."

"You're just letting your anger get in the way." Jimmy spoke again.

He was right, I was pissed as fuck and I was letting my anger run me. But I didn't care. All I could see was Toni and the little piece of shit together.

"Trust me, man." Jimmy kept talking once he'd seen that he'd gotten me to stop moving. "Just let him go and focus on Toni."

"Where is she?" I asked.

Jimmy looked away from me for a moment and I could see him trying to think of something to say.

"Where the fuck is she?" I asked again.

"She's with him, waiting for him to wake up."

"He's dead." I said, pushing past Jimmy again.

This time it was Brian that stopped me before I got to the guest room where I knew Caine would be treating the piece of shit.

"Zack you need to relax." Brian said, blocking my way with more force than Jimmy would have even thought about using. "You go in there now and shit is only going to get worse."

"Get the fuck out of my way, Brian."

"You go in there, kill him and then what? Maybe you just need to let Toni go." Brian said and it took all of my self control not to snap.

"Like hell I do." I growled.

"Then instead of killing him and making shit worse, you need to figure out how exactly you're going to keep your pissed off, assassin, ex-girlfriend here."

Brian made a good point. I hadn't thought much past getting Toni here. Part of me just wished that everything would fall back into place after I explained to her what had happened. It was clear now that that was not going to happen. I stayed silent and Brian took the opportunity to keep talking.

"Give her the night to get over the shock of everything that's happened. She's going to need at least that much."

I stood still for a few moments and neither Jimmy or Brian said anything.

"You better make fucking sure that she's still here in the morning." I growled before walking the opposite direction, to my room.

I slammed the door and immediately punched the wall beside it. The two years of not having Toni with me had been painful and I didn't think anything could hurt as much as that had. Having Toni so close but not being able to hold her like I used to was starting to make me regret doubting that the pain couldn't get worse.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you're confused it's probably because you skipped the chapter before this one.

Drop a line please.