Don't Wake The Darkness

Jumpy

Have you ever thought about what hides under your bed at night? Have you ever thought about who can see you through your windows, who is watching? Have you ever had lights on full blast at night because the darkness made you a pile of mush? Have you ever thought that you might die tonight in the most brutal way possible? Then I guess you’re not Frank Iero.

I walked down the hall, my heart sped up every few seconds or so. I was quick to flick on the light, to a dormant living room where my two pugs were fast asleep, no burglar napping on the sofa, waiting to attack. Going into the kitchen, I flicked that light on too, hoping I wasn’t making a lot of noise. The house grew so quiet at night, who knows what is waiting for me to let my guard down. I drank a glass of water and scurried up the stairs, not bothering with the light. I shut my door and did a quick glance around, making sure no ghosts were lurking in the corners.

I turned my fan on the highest possible setting to drown out all other noise, if I couldn’t hear the monsters, they can’t get me right? Pulling my ultimate weapon, my blanket across my chest even if it was rather warm tonight I snuggled down into the covers awaiting sleep, praying to every deity out there that I had no nightmares.

I awoke to a lightened room, it was around five or six in the morning and I felt better, the night seemed to drag on, along with my bladder which woke me up around one a.m. to which I held it in, no way was I stepping out of the comfort of my room for something petty like pissing. After taking a leak, I went down the stairs turning off each light, it was my favorite time of day, when the sun first started to peak above the clouds and the night time shadows left for at least a couple hours.

Fog had incased the morning, right down to the dew on the grass, but it was peaceful and I thanked God for the morning, although I much rather sleep. I walked along the side-walk path, the one that connected me to Barnes & Nobel. I was going for my Saturday morning coffee and to read a magazine or newspaper. I had to go back to Target on Monday so I was going to enjoy each day of my weekend, which I feel is already slipping past my grasp like sand.

For such a paranoid, frightened individual, I enjoyed the darker sense of entertainment, maybe which was why I was the only one who saw the black shadow Zip by, bumping right into me on my way inside. It stopped and turned to me sudden. The figure’s eyes were a bright, almost sickly green and skin an olive color.

“Shit, I’m sorry I didn’t watch where I was going.” The figure said, sounding male.

“No sweat, I’m a klutz with big clown feet.” My feet were abnormally large, and they were in a position which did look like I might have tripped him on purpose.

“Well, if it’ your fault you owe me a coffee.” He smiled, his black hoodie coming off his head to reveal his murky hair.

“Fine, but only because I have the money.” I walked up to the counter and gave the lady working there my order. The man had this aura around him that reminded me of something and I just couldn’t put my finger on it. Maybe he worked as a secret spy and had to be all inconspicuous. Or maybe he just liked to wear black, I didn’t know. We grabbed out coffee and I sat at my usual spot, the one right next to the window and I basked in the warmth of the sun which I was already going to miss tonight. It was supposed to rain.

“I don’t know, you tell me.”

I looked up at the man who sipped his coffee causally.
“Tell you what?” I asked dumbfounded.

“What’s hiding under your bed.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A new story based on my own fears. Enjoy