Don't Wake The Darkness

Silver

“What do you mean?” Okay, stupid question. Gerard is asking me to go somewhere and that’s all I can think of? God damn my social skills.

“I mean, we need to blow this pop stand, let’s go out to eat or something, I’m hungry.” I heard his belly rumble and nodded, I asked my manager Greta if I could go on break a half hour early. She agreed, but now on Tuesday I had to take the night shift.

I hated night shift. Not only do I know have to waste more money by leaving each light on all day, now I don’t know if anyone is hiding inside there, the monsters will have a field day with my absence. I told her I would, its times like these where I wish I had kept up with my high school friends. Even at the age of twenty-two I am antisocial. Never been to a party, never hung out with someone for more then a month, never held a stable relationship.

“So shorty, what are you in the mood for?” I knew that was a crack at my height, but I didn’t take it offensively. I just possibly had another friend to my small collection so these things never really get to me.

“Uh, I have a coupon for Long John Silver’s we could use that.” I felt bad for myself, I hated being low on money these days. But thanks to my Mother, the shopping ninja I never left my house without five coupons minimum.

“Sure, I like fish and greasy foods just as much as the next guy.” He was so…friendly in a way it scared me. Oh come the fuck on Frank when have you not been scared?” I tried to shrug off my inner voice, but it never went away. It was the part of me that kept an eye on Gerard; it was the part of me that felt like hurting him first, just so he can’t hurt me.

We had sat down at a booth in the dining area, Gerard and I opposite from one another.

”So cutie, tell me about yourself.”

I coughed cutie? Okay where are the hidden cameras? Who’s trying to trick me?
“Cutie?” I asked, hoping to play it off as if it didn’t mean anything to me. I haven’t been called cute in god knows how long so don’t blame me for being skeptical.

“Yeah, you’re cute, now tell me about yourself.” I at ease the way he carried himself today. Our first encounter threw me off; I guess I should learn to let my judgments not get the better of me.

“Yes, well you know my name is Frank. Uh, I’m not sure what else there is to say, I am really nothing exciting.” There I go again, the ‘pity me I have no life’ routine.

“How old are you?” I was getting weary again, Who the fuck does this guy think he is? You’re not seriously trusting him are you? In fact, I lowered my gaze to a sort of glare. Rule No.1: Never let them see you’re scared when you’re sure you can take them.

“Does it matter?” I snapped, and Gerard had considerably backed up from me a bit.

“Whoa, no need to bite me kid, I was just trying to make conversation.” I sighed, my palm coming in contact with my face. I was so stupid, why did I have to be so cautious? Why couldn’t I for once trust someone? Even as a child, a scared and vulnerable child I trusted.

“Sorry.” I really meant it, but I wasn’t going to let him know my age. That was too much information already.

“Would you feel better if I told you about me first?” He asked, looking sincere. I nodded and smiled a bit, showing him that I was just as interested as he was. But my interest wouldn’t let me cross any lines.

“Okay, well my full name is Gerard Way, I’m gonna be twenty in about four days and I think if I remember correctly you were friends with my brother in high school.”

“Brother?” I asked, perhaps we met before? Nah, I would have recognized him, I try to remember people so that way I can know their form of attack on me, if they decide to.

“Yeah, Mikey Rush? He took after my Mom’s name since my Mom and Dad and split.”

I nodded, I remembered that Rush kid. He always would drag me to scary movies at his house or in theaters. He said it was therapy so that way I could get used to scary things. Let me tell you it helped a bit, it gave me guidelines. But all in all, he scarred me for fucking life.

“I remember him.” My grip tightened as I ate my fish, it was greasy and cold but I needed to eat something so that way I won’t get hungry at night.

“Yeah he always said you were a little asshole at times.” I wanted to slap him, at times? No shit Sherlock! I barely get any fucking sleep what the hell do you expect?

“You know, let’s continue this talk some other time. I have some business to attend to.” He got up and kissed my cheek and left. I brought my hand to my face and felt his cold spit. It was so cold that I shivered and hurried to wipe it off.

When I looked in the window, my reflection didn’t show clear spit on my face. It showed red blood.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment?