Don't Wake The Darkness

Abandon Sun

Have you ever tried sleeping, knowing that something knows you know it’s there? If that confused you then you haven’t, you haven’t felt on guard the whole time while trying to let your anxious body rest, gain some strength.

I could hear the creaking of the closet door that whole night. It went wider, I swear it did. And each inch was accompanied by a giggle, and I could hear almost an argument, it reminded me of my childhood. Of what my brother had done to me.

The light of day had satisfied my fears as I woke up, I did a brief room scan, it was daylight, so the monsters were likely hiding away, laughing over how I slept in the fetal position the whole fucking night. Instead I saw my closet door ajar, just a tiny crack enough for something to still be peaking at me.

I didn’t stare, if something was watching me, I wanted to draw less attention. I knew it knows I know, but hey why admit it out loud? I can still save face; I can still break this through. I got up out of bed and wrapped a light comforter around my body.

I grabbed hold of the handle firm, and popped on the light of my tiny closet. All was normal; it was still an agonizing mess. I looked around, searching for something. I quickly found one of my favorite gloves lying on the pile. I grabbed that, shut the light off and closed the door firmly.

I was certain that it knew my true intentions; I could feel the house swell with the ghost of the entities. But I knew better then to challenge the monsters, the spirits. It was my morning okay? My morning, and no one, no thing will fuck that up.

I had deleted that message I had received the night before, my blanket didn’t fail me last night. I was settling myself on my couch, watching the news intently when my phone vibrated. I saw I got another text, I looked and it had the numbers 924-877-9570, I didn’t recognize the number, but I decided to check it any way.

Hey my brother gave me ur phone # so I wanted to txt u n c if u wanna go out 2 day. Xog

I swear I heard something fall up stairs, in my room, inside my closet. I remember what that Rush boy had said earlier, that he didn’t have a brother. But I can’t refuse his request, something about this Gerard captivated me, and it was an excuse to leave the house.

I suddenly had a burst of confidence, agreed yes and fixed my greasy hair a bit. Before I left I called up stairs for “everyone to behave while I am gone”. And upon closing up my front door I could hear a giggle, then a yes being whispered behind me.

The streets were dead as fuck outside. I couldn’t believe how alone I was, the day had been scared away by the emptiness of the streets, yet the sun shone bright so I felt little fear. As long as the light, my eternal light was on it was going to be fine.

“Cuties like you get kidnapped around here you know.”

I turned my head and saw the familiar shape of Gerard; he had on sun glasses and a friendly smile. I returned the gesture and felt myself get hot from the compliment. It was odd how he was being so flirtatious.

“I didn’t know, why are you implying you’re going to kidnap me? If you’re gonna kidnap someone, make them important.” I replied, stomping out my forgotten cigarette that hung loosely from my lips.

“Oh? And who is important then?” He asked, tilting his head so my eyes met my reflection in his giant glasses.

I smiled a bit then said “Well of course it’s the Jonas Brothers.” Then he giggled, and my smile fell. I knew that giggle; I could’ve sworn I heard that giggle before! He then stopped laughing upon seeing my face and put a hand on my shoulder. Taking off his glasses and peering into my eyes he said.

“There’s no shame in liking them hun, but why the hell would I kidnap them? Aren’t they like eleven or something?” I could tell the way he was speaking he didn’t sincerely sound humorous, he sounded serious, like he knew something.

“You know I saw your brother.” Shit! Fucking Shit! I had to open my big fucking mouth and say the first fucking thing that popped into my head didn’t I? Gerard let go of my shoulder and placed his arm on his hip.

“Oh? Well I saw him last night; I wonder why he didn’t mention you.” I looked down, around the town nervously. Suddenly it felt like the sun was disappearing slowly.

“Oh well uh, he was acting a little….weird.” Gerard stepped closer, grabbed my hand and pulled me to a black van parked at the side of the road.

He opened the passenger side door and sighed impatiently as I looked at him confused. Frustrated he pushed me. “Well get the fuck inside!”
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for taking so long.