Don't Wake The Darkness

Sleep

I complied with no hesitation. Gerard’s anger seemed to be seething through him and I expected at any moment to look to my right and see smoke flow out of his red hot ears. His change in mood made me tense my muscles, I was on guard the whole time we were riding in the car. The fast motions of the passing buildings, the deserted stores and shopping malls. It was enough to give me a slight pounding sensation in my head.

I could still feel the anger in the van, it made a series of cold and hot shivers run up my spine and I shook a bit. Gerard had glanced at me once, forced out a polite smile and I tried to relax a bit. After the first hour or so on the road, I had twiddled my thumbs, checked license plates, flipped through my phone. I was growing restless, and my foot began to bounce.

I saw a large apartment on my right hand side while pressing my face up to the cool glass of the window. It was laid with bricks, ranging in deep reds to blacks. I noticed that the car had slowed down and Gerard had gotten out. Unbuckling my seat belt I followed him up towards the door. He pressed a button and a loud buzz vibrated off the walls, unlocking the next door in our path.

It was been exactly two and a half hours now and still not one word has been spoken between us. I wondered what happened to our supposed date, I mean I barely knew this man and he was taking me to his apartment. Oh shit, his apartment why didn’t I register that before? Oh fuck he’s going to kill me, rape me; I can see myself on the news now.

Stop being so dramatic and watch guard! My inner voice scolded me and I shook away my morbid fantasy.

“C’mon open up!” That was the most I’ve heard from him in a while, his voice sounded foreign and words didn’t feel right. I was pretty uneasy in this hall way. I was quickly being reminded of the shinning what with the long hall ways and staircases I’m sure reached the clouds.

“Minute!” A voice grumbled and I heard the voice mumble something when I heard a crash of a pot or pan. “God fucking damn it.” And the door opened, amazingly it was the Rush boy, he seemed more calm, more languid then when he visited me.

“Gerard? You should know he isn’t home right now, I’ve checked.” He rubbed sleep from his eyes and adjusted to the bright lights.

“Mikey, not right now, Frank is here and he said that you guys have spoken before.” And if you could only see the smug look upon his face as Mikey then ushered us in and giggled along the way.

I felt like I was being stared at the whole time, Mikey’s apartment was anything but welcoming. With the curtains drawn, lights out, it just held this spooky aura. The one thing that creeped me out the most was the face a door down the hall was slightly ajar, exposing pure black and I was awaiting a hand to slither out from it and grab a hold of me.

My pulse had started to resound in my ears and I tried to not look in the direction of the door. I asked Mikey about a minute or two ago when he said he didn’t have a brother before he left my home. He laughed and shook his head, claiming I was delusional and needed mental help. I could tell Gerard’s patience was running thin as he glared at Mikey and asked to “speak privately.” I almost asked them to not leave me here, in the dark, by the door.

I closed my eyes, telling myself that the monsters couldn’t of followed me, I tried telling myself it was my over active imagination. But it didn’t stop me from taking one last peek at the door. I didn’t see anything in the darkness of the room, but my mind was quickly forming pictures of a wolf-like creature locked in Mikey’s house.

Scared, I decided to join Gerard and Mikey in the kitchen where I heard their rustling. A light flickered on and I sighed in relief, some lighting in this house would lessen my fears. Upon creeping up on them I heard Gerard complaining, their conversation went a little something like this:

”Seriously Michael, you can’t expect me to take part of this any more, do you even know how bad they got the kid?”

”Gerard it’s not like they’ll kill him, you know that’s not their job.”

”Don’t tell me you didn’t see that look.”

”Boo fucking hoo Gerard, this is our job, this is how we make money you surely didn’t object to five year old Jessica, nor Blake who is your own fucking cousin.”

”That’s because they got over theirs quickly! Didn’t you see how Jessica fought? Or how Blake just shook it off? This kid has got serious issues and I refuse to take part in this.”

”Oh don’t pull that shit you know I can go into the realm without you right?”

”Yes, but you can’t do any actually damage. Without me Michael you’re nothing but a bed time story.”

Gerard re appeared from the kitchen, I could tell he knew I eavesdropped, but what else was I supposed to do? Torture myself by staring at that door? I fucking knew that I forgot to leave a light on in the house.

“Gerard, why were you and Mikey fighting?” I asked, and his glare didn’t settle, instead he just sighed and kept driving. When he dropped me off he turned to me, he said “I get tired of watching people sleep.”