Don't Wake The Darkness

Alert

His voice ghosted over my ears, tickling the very hairs on my neck. I felt myself quiver a tad as the house got colder with every waiting minute. Gerard’s eyes flamed with excitement and I could feel myself loose consciousness. But something in me felt it was a lull to sleep, something was protecting me, I better thank my lucky stars.

I awoke, feeling a light pounding in my head. A thin sheet of light came in through the room. It was nearing morning and I couldn’t contain my joy. I had not one nightmare last night and I didn’t even have a night light with me. I smiled; I always had hope that like what doctors and my family told me, they would tell me that I had nothing to fear.

For some reason though, knowing that what you think is there isn’t, it’s a fuck of a lot scarier than if it was real. But I swear it feels real, tangible in my hands like their thick teeth sharp as daggers and that plain instinct to just kill and destroy.

I remember when they found me, when I was only a young teen and I first experienced their whispers. I remember the first time I encountered a dark mass above my bed just blanketing me, suffocating like the night sky without its stars.

I realized I had sat up and stood up, I could hear the soft voices behind the large door. Only one voice had sharpness to it, I could tell the owner only spoke when it deemed it appropriate.

“You’re going to get yourself fired if you keep up this charade.” Sharp voice hissed.

“And then what? Let him shrivel into madness?” I could recognize Gerard’s distinct calm, almost emotionless drawl.

“This isn’t like the time you refused children; they won’t take pity on a human fool. This is not some charity case.”

I slowly stepped forward, my foot slipped on the silky wood and I heard “sharp voice” right inside my ears.

“He’s awake.”

I felt myself tremble a bit, how did “sharp voice” know me, and know that I was hear? Is that why Gerard said that my place wasn’t safe? I could feel the tension fill above my head as the door was slowly unlocked and pushed open. The relieving light had vanished, replaced by the pure black and emptiness.

I let out a piercing shriek.