Status: Updated 23/11.

Spellbound

Chapter 12

I found it difficult to sleep that night. I was seemingly always tossing and turning. When I finally managed to get more than an hour of sleep I was woken by someone entering my room. I stayed silent, hoping that either Marc or Vero would see me still sleeping and leave again.

The sound of their footsteps got closer and closer, and it took a fair bit of restraint not to open my eyes and ask what the hell was going on. All of a sudden I felt the other half of the bed sink down; someone had climbed into bed with me.

Unable to resist not knowing what was happening any longer, I rolled over while still pretending to be asleep. I peeked an eye open to see who was lying next to me, trying to make out their form in the darkness.

“Geno!” I shot up from my lying position.

“Elodie, you’re awake?” His hands immediately found their way to my body, his arms holding me close to him.

“I couldn’t sleep. What are you doing here?”

“I had to see you; I had to make sure you are alright.” He took my face in his hands, moving his body so he was looking directly at me. “I had to tell you that I love you too.”

Whether it was the lack of sleep or the fact that what Max had said was playing on my mind, I don’t know, but Geno telling me he loved me caused me to burst into tears. He hugged me even more tightly and kissed my hair. I was finally able to get to sleep now, I quickly fell asleep in Geno’s arms and sleet right through the night.

→ → →

I woke alone the next morning, wracking my brain to try and remember if what happened last night was true. “Geno, just shut the hell up” someone yelled, proving that Geno was in fact here. I slowly got out of bed, pulling on some sweatpants and one of Max’s old sweatshirts I’d grabbed when I packed last night.

Making my way downstairs I realised the voice I’d heard yelling belonged to Max. What the hell was he doing here? I stood outside the door, listening in. From what I could hear Marc was trying to get everyone to discuss this like adults, Max had other ideas and was just shouting whatever came into his head, whereas Geno stayed quiet, if he was still here that is.

I walked around the corner of the room, not causing too much stir that I would get noticed. Max had his back to me and was ranting on at Geno about how he was bad news for me, how he wouldn’t treat me properly, how he was just going to ‘fuck me and run’ like all hockey players apparently do. Nice Max, really nice.

Geno just stood there, not saying a word. He seemed to be listening to and taking in everything Max was saying. I only hoped he didn’t believe any of it. He wouldn’t really ‘fuck me and run’, would he?

“She’s better off with that guy she had back home. Hell, she’s better off with anyone!” Max had crossed the line with this comment. I walked over to him and kicked the back of his knees causing him to fall to the floor. As he went to get up I held him down, staring him straight in the eye.

“If you think that’s true, you’re not even worth my time” He just rolled his eyes, clearly not believing what I’d said. I’d just have to show him I meant it, until he came round at least. And he would come round; he couldn’t stay mad at me for too long. “Bye Max.”

I took Geno’s hand and led him upstairs where I re-packed the bag I’d only packed the night before. He still didn’t say anything which slightly worried me, but I didn’t take too much notice of it. I was talking away, mostly to myself, reassuring myself that things would be ok, that Max would come around soon and everything would be normal again.

I made brief eye contact with Geno before quickly snapping my gaze back to his; he looked so confused and lost. I figured he hadn’t fully understood what had happened downstairs. “I’m moving back with you” I told him. He still looked none the wiser, “If that’s ok?”

“Why?”

That wasn’t exactly the response I was looking for.

“Because Max is just being an idiot and can’t recognise true love when it slaps him in the face. Even if we weren’t together that’s how we’d end up. Look at last night, for example. It’s meant to happen.” I smiled at him and he did the same. I leaned up and placed a small kiss on his lips before continuing to pack up my clothes.

→ → →

A few weeks later and Max and I still hadn’t spoken. I still went to the odd practice, more to watch Geno than anything. I only went to maybe one a week though; I was trying to find a job. It got pretty boring just sitting around Geno’s house all day, especially when they had away games and I was left by myself.

I waited outside the locker room as I did after every practice. The boys had only just gone in so I plugged my iPod into my ears and slouched on the floor. The first song hadn’t even finished when Kris walked out, stopping right in front of me. I raised my eyebrows, motioning for him to speak.

“You’re coming out with me tonight” he informed me. He didn’t see too enthusiastic about it. I raised my eyebrows once again for him to explain. “You, me, Marc, Vero” he told me, “And Max and his new girlfriend.” He quickly mumbled under his breath.

“No.”

“What? You have to come.”

“No.”

“But I already told Max you would. And Marc. Vero’s looking forward to seeing you again” His attempt at tempting me into going with them wasn’t working.

“Can I bring Geno?”

“Err, no, I’m afraid not. Sorry.”

“Then no.”

“Elodie, please? At least hear me out?” I nodded for him to continue. “Max has a new girlfriend, one he actually likes. He’s gone out on a few dates with her and he really likes her. But he wants one thing more before he is serious about dating her.” He paused, looking down at me still sitting on the floor. When I didn’t say anything, he continued. “He wants your approval”

I snapped my head up. “I don’t like her. He shouldn’t date her.” I spat; my voice was laced with venom and it surprised even myself.

Kris bent down so he was level with me, taking the remaining earphone out of my ear. “Elodie, he’s a jerk, we all know that. But you never know, if you like this girl he’s dating, he might lighten up on Geno.”

It made sense I guess. I was still sceptical about the whole idea but went along with it nonetheless. At least I would know who this girl was so when Max and I eventually made up we would be able to talk about her. We would make up, I’m sure of that, just this time it was taking a bit longer than usual when we had our arguments.

Not long after Kris had gone back into the locker room, Geno came out, his hair still dripping wet, his shirt slightly clinging to his body too. After we said we loved each other our relationship had slowed down a lot. We both decided that to some extent Max was right, and we slowed things down.

I stayed sitting for a few seconds, admiring his form before he pulled me up so we could leave. “You are seeing Max later?” I nodded, not wanting to admit it out loud. “Why?”

“He wants me to meet his new girlfriend. There are a few of us going, all to do the same thing.” Kris had told me we’d be meeting at this small Chinese restaurant in town but that he’d pick me up on the way. Max had asked him and Marc along too because they were his best friends and he wanted to know what those close to him really thought of the girl. He must really like her.

Later that evening I was getting ready when Geno walked into my room, turning his nose up at the dress I had chosen. I looked at him questioningly. “You want something better than that” he told me, walking over to my wardrobe and picking out a knee length, strapless red dress.

I shook my head at him, “I don’t want to look like a whore”. He assured me I wouldn’t. “And I don’t want to show her up”. He assured me I wouldn’t do that either so I eventually settled on wearing that with some black sandals and a black cardigan. I applied some light make-up, not really wanting to over do it if Geno wouldn’t benefit.

Bang on seven o’clock the doorbell rang and I gave Geno a peck on the cheek goodbye, walking down to Kris’ car with my arm linked in his. He was dressed in black suit trousers and a navy shirt, a little smarter than he usually wore.

As I got into the car, Kris seemed very uncomfortable, almost as if he was nervous. “You alright?” I asked him. He put his hand on my arm and gave me a slight nod of the head, assuring me that he was indeed fine and dandy.

I still had my suspicions though, and these were increased when I saw Max sitting at the table with a face like thunder. Something was amiss, of that I was sure.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woah! An update, finally!

I got a tad stuck so I re-read this and realised it was shit. Sorry. And sorry it's so short too.

Comments would be lovely. (: