Status: complete :)

Set on False Pretense

11

That Thursday had passed strangely. I noticed many people staring at Chad, but I ignored it, putting it down to a football game or something. But it didn't matter to me and I helped Chad to not be bothered by it. I smiled as I lay on my bed, staring at my ceiling. It was Valentine's Day tomorrow. The first valentine's day I had ever had. I looked over at the CD case on my bedside table. I had compiled all my songs onto a disc for Chad. I hoped he'd like it, but he loved all my songs, so I knew he would. I couldn’t wipe the grin off my face.

I picked up my phone and phoned Chad. It rang and rang but he didn't answer. I frowned slightly; he always answered when I phoned him. Maybe something was wrong... I sat up, instantly concerned but I told myself I was over reacting. I took a deep breath and lay back down, trying his phone again. He still didn't pick up. Maybe he's lost it or left it in another clothes' pocket or something.

I heard the front door open and slam and I braced myself. I heard dad stumbling around downstairs and then the front door opened and shut again. I frowned and sat up and looked out my window to see him driving away again and I grinned. He was leaving! I was safe! I flopped back onto my bed. I wanted to phone Chad to see if he wanted to come over, but I doubted I would get through to him. I sighed and fiddled with my phone while thinking about what to do.

I went downstairs after a while and into the kitchen. I made myself some pasta and tomato sauce for dinner and sat eating it in front of the television. I found it amazing how lucky I could be that dad had gone out. I wished Chad would phone me and complete the wonderful evening, but I resigned myself to just having the house to myself. I watched television for a while and then went back upstairs and played my guitar. I smiled as a song started forming in my mind.

I didn't speak to Chad all night, and I felt the loss. I needed to hear his voice. I couldn’t wait for school the next day so I could speak to him again.

I woke up the next morning, desperately eager to see Chad. I dressed in my tightest jeans and a hoodie and threw my blazer on over the top. I grabbed my bag and put the CD for Chad inside it. Butterflies kick started in my stomach as my excitement to see him grew. I got in my car and drove quickly to school, aware that no one would actually be there yet. I didn't care, though. I felt closer to Chad when I was at school.

I went to the music room, predicting that that would be where he would come to find me in the morning. I sat there for an hour, after the morning bell had gone and I felt my hope dwindling. Why hadn’t he come? Maybe he was just late. I went to my first lesson, maths. I noticed that several people were now watching me and whispering to others, but I ignored it. I sat through the lesson and then I had a free. I went to the music room, but Chad still wasn't there. I felt tears pricking in my eyes but I refused to think he didn't want to come and see me. I picked up a guitar, but nothing came into my mind. I put it back on the shelf and just sat on a desk, waiting for him.

He didn't come.

I felt my heart aching in my chest for the rest of the day. He didn't want to see me on Valentine's Day. I was depressed for the rest of the day. How could he not want to see me? Of all the days he could decide to avoid me, why today?

At the end of the day I went to my locker and put my books in there. Slowly, the corridors around me emptied and I was on my own. I took my CD for Chad out of my bag and looked down at it sadly. I bit my lip to stop my tears. I put it into my locker in case he was back to normal on Monday.

Suddenly, I felt a hand grip my shoulder tightly, spin me round, and slam me against the lockers behind me. At first I was afraid, but then I saw it was Chad and I smiled at him. However, once I saw the emotion displayed on his face my smile vanished and I frowned. He was glaring at me, hurt and hatred in his gaze. I opened my mouth to ask what was wrong but he just shoved me hard back onto the lockers again. "How could you do this to me?" he asked me. He wasn't shouting, but his voice was low and dangerous. "How could you betray me like this?" I frowned at him, completely confused. "Don't pretend you don’t know," he said, before I could say anything. "I know you told Max about us. I can't believe you did this. I hate you." I felt my heart shatter and tears instantly pooled in my eyes.
"Chad, I didn't-" I started but he pushed my back onto the lockers again, hitting the back of my head against the metal and I flinched as pain pierced my mind momentarily.
"I don’t want to hear it, I never want to hear anything from you again," he said and stormed off.

I stood dazed as tears streamed down my cheeks. But I wouldn’t let myself cry properly until I was sure he had gone. I watched his back as he walked away from me, my heart deteriorating with every step he took. One he rounded a corner I closed my eyes and leant back against the lockers. I sank to the floor and sobbed into my hands. How could he think I did that? Does he not trust me at all? Does he not love me at all?

I curled myself into a ball as I let out all my tears, but I was aware that as soon as I got home I would cry again and more. As I cried I heard the echoes of my cries in the corridors. It had an eerie feel to it, a lonely feel. But then again, that's my life. I had no one now, no one.

What felt like hours later I realised that I better get home. I stood slowly, wiping at my cheeks. I glanced into my locker and saw the CD sitting next to my music file and hurt filled my chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
aww :-(
comment please?