Status: complete :)

Set on False Pretense

6

I heard the bang and then the phone went dead. My heart raced and I knew something was wrong. I immediately phoned back but no one answered, it just rang. I couldn’t force my worry from my system. I needed to check he was okay, somehow, but I couldn’t. I didn't even know where he lived. I sat on my bed, staring out my window. "Shit," I muttered bitterly. I couldn’t even help him if he was in trouble.

I decided that the only thing I could do was to keep phoning, hoping he would pick up eventually. After the 4th time of no one answering, I was told that the phone was switched off. I frowned and tried again. 'The phone you are trying to reach is switched off. Please try later of send a text.' The automated voice flowed from my phone but I refused to believe it. Will wouldn’t turn his phone off when he knew I was trying to get though to him.

The worry flowing through my system was going to kill me. I had to check that he was okay. I guess I'd just have to wait for tomorrow morning at school, but I really didn't want to. I tried to distract myself from thinking about Will by sketching but all my doodles turned out to be of Will; his eyes, his face, his lips. I sighed and just got changed ready for bed. I shut the light off and then climbed into bed. Thoughts about Will continued to zoom around in my mind, causing an uneasy sleep.

I got to school early the next morning because I was eager to check on Will, even though I knew he wouldn’t be getting there until 8 o'clock anyway. I sighed and made my way to my locker slowly. I got my books out and then went back to the front of school. I wandered around for a while and soon enough it was 5 past 8. However, Will's car wasn't in the car park. I frowned and stood outside until 20 past, but he still didn't arrive. The uneasiness of last night crept back into my system. I needed to find out where he lived and there was only one place I could go to check that.

I headed to the office, keeping one eye on the car park as I walked away from it in case Will was late. No such luck. I entered the school and went straight to the office even though lessons were about to start. Mrs Waine was sitting at her desk as usual and I smiled sweetly at her, trying to get her in a good mood. She smiled back and I knew it had worked. "Hi, Mrs Waine," I smiled and she smiled back.
"Good morning, Chad, what can I do for you?" she asked.
"Well, Will Adams isn’t in today and some teachers have got work for him and have asked me to give it to him," I said, hoping she wouldn’t check this out. "So I was wondering if you could give me his address so I can give it to him?" I smiled again at the end of my question and I knew I had won.
"Oh, sure, honey," she said and typed something into the computer. She then printed something and handed it to me. "There, that's the address that we've got. I don’t know if it has changed at all."
"Thanks so much," I smiled and then quickly left the office before she had chance to say anything else. I went back to the car park, had a quick glance to see if Will had arrived yet and saw that he hadn’t. I jumped into my car and headed to the address on the paper.

I pulled up outside the address. The house would have been nice except it looked like no one had cared for it in years. I remembered what he had said about his mum having died 3 years before. I felt the overwhelming need to comfort him, to look after him. I rang the bell but no one answered. I frowned and rang it again and again, knocking at the same time. I knew he was here; his car was sitting in the driveway. "No one's fucking home!" I heard Will shout from inside and I grinned and continued to ring the bell.
"Will, let me in!" I shouted back.
"Chad?" I heard him say weakly. He seemed to be close to the door so I stopped ringing the bell.
"Let me in," I said softly, but loud enough for him to hear.
"No," he whined and instantly the worry set back in.
"Will, open this door right now, I'm not fucking kidding," I said, banging on the door.
"Alright," he said and the front door opened a crack. Will poked half his head round the door. "What do you want?" he asked and I could see by the one eye visible that he had been crying.
"Will," I whispered and put my hand on his cheek softly. He turned his head away but I didn't let go. "What's wrong?" He stepped backwards into the house, making room for me to come in. I did, looked at him and felt my heart weep. "Will, oh, my God," I whispered and stepped closer to him. The entire left side of his face was covered in horrible purple bruises. I raised my hand and saw Will flinch. I frowned but didn't stop and then gently touched his cheek softly. I looked into his eyes and saw tears building. He let out a sob and then fell into my arms. I caught him and held him upright and he cried into my chest.

Hearing his heart wrenching sobs brought tears to my eyes and I closed my eyes and buried my face in his shoulder as he continued to cry. I glanced around and saw a sofa through an open door. I carefully led Will over to it and we sat down and I still held him tightly. I never wanted to let go. Will's tears eventually dried but he continued to cling to me. I knew he needed me to just hold him and I was more than happy to comply. I stroked his hair and kissed his temple softly. "Who did this?" I whispered and he buried his face in my chest. I expected him not to answer but then I heard his murmur.
"My dad." Disgust immediately flew through my body. How could his own father do this to him? I held onto him tighter. "He...he heard me on the phone to you."
"I'm so sorry," I whispered and I saw a flicker of a smile on Will's lips.
"It's not your fault," he sighed. He sat up and looked at me lovingly. He smiled at me weakly and I smiled back.
"I'm here for you now," I whispered sincerely. He smiled slightly stronger. Inside I was suddenly beaming. I had gotten him through this. He was smiling because of me.
"Come with me," he said as he stood up. "I want to show you something." He took my hand and led me up to his bedroom. The walls were grey and white, but mainly hidden with band posters. I looked at them and smiled and then turned my attention back to Will, who was now sitting cross-legged on the window seat, holding his guitar. I smiled and sat next to him, facing him. "I wrote this yesterday," he said softly and started strumming.
"You don’t have to sing if it hurts too much," I said, just enjoying the music but he smiled.
"I want to sing this for you," he said quietly and I felt my heart melt and fill with love. I made no other objections and then he started singing in his beautiful, smooth voice.
"Don’t try asking
Cause I never know what to say
Except just everything
A few minutes later in the day
How come everybody else seems so happy
And have intelligent things to say
Cause you know that isn’t me
I think I’d be happy if it was a Saturday

And yeah if only it was Saturday, Saturday
Things would be better in every way, every way
And I would be ok

Cause then I would start
To try to find a way to say
Hey there you are
I need to find a way to be and sound smart
I need to find a way but man it’s so hard
I need to think it’s just not anything will do
I need to think this time
Just time for me and you
To be in phrase that I would always use
In the context like I belong to you

And yea if only it was Saturday, Saturday
Things would be better in every way, every way
And I would be ok
And yea if only it was Saturday, Saturday
Things would be better than was today, is today

I would surely say that
That I’d be here for you
And I hope that you’d be too
And I’ll tell the truth
Say that I need you
Yeah I do
But I know you might not come
But I need you everywhere
Take a breath and close my eyes
And just think about this and say

I need you please to save me
I wanna be your baby
I wanna see you and me
Together this Saturday

And yea if only it was Saturday, Saturday
Things would be better in every way, every way
And I would be ok
And yeah if only it was Saturday, Saturday
Things would be better than was today, is today
And I would surely say
All the times I’ve been afraid
Well I’m gonna make it this Saturday"
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for ur comments!!
i love everyone you all!! <3