Just Sometimes

Four

Aqua said I could sleep in her bed, but I refused, and said I’d make do with the sofa. I couldn’t sleep that well anyway, I felt all jumpy. I was half expecting David to appear in front of me. Plus I couldn’t stop thinking about what Aqua had said, that I should talk to him.
I didn’t want to. Sure, I…I did still love him, but…I didn’t want to talk to him. Or see him. My head said no but my heart said yes.
That sounds so dumb, like the stuff you get in trashy romance novels, but it was honestly true.
Everytime something made a noise I jumped, thinking it was David. I was so anxious. I was terrified when I heart footsteps, but it was only Jade.
“What’s up honey?” I asked.
“I’m not tired. I’m bored.”
“Try to sleep, Jade darling,” I said.
“I wanna talk to daddy.”
I closed my eyes briefly. Why oh why did she have to keep bringing him up?
“Why doesn’t he live with us?” asked Jade, seemingly innocently.
I looked at her sharply. “Has Aqua told you to say that?”
She looked at me, pretending not to have understood. I sighed. I know she was only acting. She has he maturity of someone more than ten years older than herself; I know she understood.
“Daddy said.”
I really hadn’t expected this. I thought she was saying it for herself, but maybe not. “He…said that?”
She nodded. “He said sorry.”
He said sorry? Sorry for what?
“For what he did. I wanna sleep now.”
My mind felt blank, but I nodded. “Alright. Do you want me to come upstairs sweetie?” But she had already gone upstairs.
Five minutes later I had decided. I would talk to David.
Maybe tell him how much I missed him.