Status: In Progress.

Cheating Across the Pond

Professional

“Lizzie?” Ryan strolled into the training room, “You're still here?”

“Contrary to popular belief, my job doesn't end, when you guys leave the pitch.”

“The guys have been badgering me to invite you out with us tonight.”

“Excuse me?”

“The guys are going to a club. Usually I don't go but it's to celebrate the first win of the season. You're invited,” Ryan grumbled.

“You don't seem to happy about that,” I teased.

“Trust me. There is nothing that makes me more uncomfortable than inviting my niece to a night of alcohol and debauchery.”

“Alcohol and debauchery? Don't you think that's a little extreme?”

“These are dirty rich footballers, who for the most part, have never heard the word 'no.' So no, I don't think it's a little extreme.”

“I'd have to pass either way. It's just not professional for me to be hanging out and partying with you guys. It's probably not even right that you're my uncle.”

“I think professional went out the window, when you went into Ronny's Porsche.”

“What! Did Stacey tell you? She promised!”

“Stacey knew about that? I saw you two from Alex's office.”

“That- that was a mistake. Nothing happened.”

“If you're worried about professional, Rob always goes out with us, so does Mike and Tony.” Mike and Tony being the assistant manager and the fitness coach, respectively.

“I don't know. I'll think about it.”

“Well, call me and I'll pick you up. Unless you want Ronny to.”

“I'll call you.”

Ryan nodded, I'm sure, in relief, and walked out of the room.

After finishing up the last of the paperwork, I joined Rob in the rehabilitation room to help clean up. I drained the whirlpools, scrubbed down the shiny, metallic silver surfaces, vacuumed and wiped down the treatment tables. “Rob, I was invited to go out with some of the players tonight to celebrate the first win of the season,” I paused trying to gauge his reaction, which was nonexistent, “Would it be okay if I go?”

“Are you asking me permission? I'm not your father, or your uncle.”

“I know,” I blushed, “What I'm really asking is would be professional of me to go?”

Rob sighed, “Alyssa. You're not at Uni anymore. You aren't treating athletes that are more or less on your level. You're an athletic trainer for Manchester United Football Club. These athletes aren't people you'll see in your classes or live in the dorm across from you.”

“I know. It's just that I want to be taken seriously.”

“Going to a club and celebrating a victory does not take away your credential or your experience.”

I smiled, “Thank you.”

“I'll be seeing you at Red Light, then?”

“Yes,” I said slowly, liking the taste of independence on my tongue, “Yes, you will.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the new chapter. I hope you guys like it! I have a Sidney Crosby story in the works but I found a story similar to it here on Mibba and now I'm not so sure I want to post it. What do you guys think? Should I still post it? Please comment!