Status: In Progress.

Cheating Across the Pond

Unavailable

Alyssa, baby, I miss you. I really do. I’m sorry if I haven’t been the perfect fiancé lately but this distance is really putting a toll on all of us. I guess what I really just want to say is I love you. I love you now and I’ll love you forever.”

Stephen’s smooth voice was bookended by the long, harsh beep, signaling the end of his voicemail.

God. It’s like he knew what I did last night. Where I was. Who I was with. He just had to start being sweet again.

“Alyssa Katarina Giggs. Where. Are. You.” Uncle Ryan’s voice, brimming with anger, filled the room

“I don’t know if you got my last six voicemails but I’ve heard some rather unsavory stories about last night,” Transitioning from anger to concern with one voicemail. Impressive.

“Ronny? Are you kidding me?” I knew the concern was short lived.

“Call me.”

My head snapped up, Cristiano’s voice filled the room in a different way than Stephen’s or Uncle Ryan’s did.

His voice called to me. It made a part of my heart ache. It made me think of what happened last night. The touches, the kisses, the unspoken words that made my body seem like it was on fire yet somehow more alive.

“I can’t stop thinking about you, Hermosa. I have to consciously tell my brain to stop thinking about you. Please call me when you get home, so I know you’re safe and okay.”

Safe.

Everything considered, I doubt I could consider myself safe.

I picked up my phone and I dialed the number with shaky hands. I held my breath as I waited for him to pick up. Half of me wanted him to pick up but the other half wished it would go straight to voicemail.

Olá.”

I almost hung up right then. Just the sound of his voice made my heart jump and a lump form in my throat, “Hi,” my throat came out as whisper, “It’s me. Alys-”

“I know, I recognized your voice.”

“I just wanted to call to say that I’m home and safe and,” Thinking of you.

“And?”

“I think we need to tell everyone that what we did, didn’t happen. You said it yourself it’s different for a man. I’m just an intern and I’m hoping to get a permanent job here and I’ve been trying so hard to be professional and last night, last night was a mis-”

“Don’t say last night was a mistake. It wasn’t. Alcohol doesn’t make us do things we don’t want to. Alcohol makes us do things we’ve always wanted to do but never had the guts to. There are reasons why I don’t drink. My-my father's passing," He paused, his voice faltering at the memory of his father, "and also because I don’t like losing control and falling to my desires.”

“And you desire me?” Saying out loud made my hands shake.

“So much it hurts,” He groaned, “How- do you feel the same?”

“I- I don’t know. I know that I can’t regret what happened last night no matter how much I try to guilt myself and I know that when we kiss it feels like I’m on fire and I know that I have fiancé that I love and I want to marry.”

“Well then,” Cris paused. His words suddenly terse and clipped, “Then I’ll see you tomorrow. Boa noite e sonhos cor de rosa,” Cris paused again, “Goodnight and sweet dreams, Hermosa.”

“Cris- Cris I didn’t mean it like that,” I furrowed my brow. How did I mean it? I didn’t mean to upset him that’s for sure but, but, “I-”

“I know what I want but I think you need to know what you want before you can say what you mean.”

I couldn't think. There were no words. No witty response. No flirty, double entendre. Just a silence.

Boa noite.” He said crisply.

Boa noite,” I echoed back, my throat tight and dry.

I stared at the phone in my hand. Did I really call Cris first? Before Uncle Ryan? Before Stephen? I let out a shaky breath and I dialed Uncle Ryan’s number.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Uncle Ryan it’s Lizzie.”

“Well Miss Wild Child. You have some explaining to do.”

“I-uh-”

“I’m not here to judge you or punish you. You’re a grown woman. You make your own choices but it’s my job to make you realize your choices have consequences. You were lucky there haven’t been any leaked pictures.”

“The paparazzi wasn’t there so-”

“Lizzie. Stop being naïve anyone with a camera phone is the paparazzi.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t think that it would end up the way it did.”

“I don’t think I’m the one you should be apologizing to.”

“Did anyone see me and Cris leave together?”

“We all saw you leave but we were all fairly inebriated. It was a miracle we didn’t burn the place to the ground. So we saw you but I doubt anyone remembers.”

“Good, I guess.”

“You seem to being second guessing yourself a lot these past few months.”

“I’m just not sure of anything anymore but so is life, I guess. The only thing to expect is the unexpected.”

“Whether or not you tell Stephen is up to you. It’s your choice and I won’t judge you either way. None of us will, but you will have to deal with the consequences.”

“I know. Good night Uncle Ryan. Thank you for the talk.”

“Don’t worry about it. Besides what are uncles for? Goodnight Lizzie.”

I stared at the phone knowing what needed to be done. I dialed the number I knew all too well and waited for him to pick up.

"The number you are calling is currently unavailable please leave a message after the tone," The cold, detached voice droned.

Unavailable.

Such a loaded word.

God, I am reading way too much into things.

Beeeeeepp

"Hi, Stephen, it's Alyssa. I just wanted to return your voicemail and tell you that I love you too. I'm sorry I missed your call. This distance is killing me and it doesn't help that we keep missing each other's calls," my heart ached, "Just call me back, when you're available. I love you."

Unavailable.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here you go! Tell me what you think about this chapter. It's a little boring and kind of filler-ish, but I hoped you guys liked it regardless/don't hate me too much! Please review, it really encourages me to keep writing.