"Who Would've Thought Getting Knocked Down Would End So Well?"

Family

Billie Joe got up from the floor and stood next to me.

"Boys, this is Amelia, my girlfriend."

Joey and Jakob looked at each other then looked at me. They were handsome boys. Joey was a miniature Billie Joe, not only in the way he looked but in his posture and style also. Jakob looked more like Adrienne but it was easy to see Billie Joe in both of them.

I broke the silence. "Hey guys, nice to meet you."

Joey looked at me curiously but was very polite. "Nice to meet you too. I'm Joey." He pointed at his brother. "And this is Jakob." Jakob smiled at me shyly, hiding behind his brother.

Billie Joe looked relieved, pleased that his sons had accepted me so easily. After all, I was dating their father, and it was an awkward situation. He rubbed his hands together and looked at the three of us.

"Who wants breakfast?"

Jakob jumped up excitedly. "What are we going to have daddy? Can you make us pancakes?"

Billie Joe put his hands on his narrow hips. "Well that depends. I'm going to the grocery store for a few minutes. You stay here with Amelia. If you're good, I'll make pancakes. But if I find out you did not listen to her... cold oatmeal it is."

Jakob made a face at the thought of oatmeal. Joey rolled his eyes. "Fine, dad. But we already had breakfast and it's almost noon." At least we had one logical person in the room. .

Billie Joe made a face. "Well, we could have a normal boring lunch or we could make it fun, with pancakes and things like that."

"Yeah ok dad, that sounds great."

I suddenly looked at Billie Joe, his words finally sinking in. He wanted to leave me alone with his kids. I had no idea how to keep them entertained.

"Uh, Billie Joe, you sure you don't want me to go instead? I don't mind."

He immediately understood and smiled at me. "I think I should go. I have a few ideas, and I don't make shopping lists so you wouldn't know what to get. I'll be back in a bit."
Billie Joe backed out of the room. I heard him whisper "You'll be fine" as he ran down the stairs. We heard the front door close, then a few minutes later the sounds of his BMW could be heard as he drove down the street.

I turned towards the boys. "So what do you two want to do?"

Jakob's warm brown eyes were wide. "Watch a DVD!" I chuckled at his excitement. I looked at Joey who hadn't said much. He was pulling at a thread on his Adeline t-shirt. He looked bored. "And what about you, Joey?"

He looked up, startled. "Huh? What about me?"

"What do you want to do?"

He looked thoughtful for a moment. "I feel like doing something artistic. Like drawing or painting or music. Any of those... or all." He was definitely his father's child.

"Ok. So let's get Jakob settled in with a movie and we can figure out something artistic for you to do."

"Ok." They both replied at once.

Getting up from the floor of Jakob's bedroom, the boys followed me downstairs to the den. Jakob jumped onto the couch and made himself comfortable. He laid himself down on the couch situated in front of the large, flat screen. With a cushion propped under his head and a thumb in his mouth, he sighed with contentment. I popped "Over the Hedge" into the DVD player and turned on the television. I handed Jakob the remote.

"And if you need anything, come find me ok, Jake?" Jakob nodded and shooed me from in front of the television. I moved out of the room to find Joey sitting at the kitchen table. I pulled out a chair and plopped myself down beside him.

He stared at me. His gaze was intense. "Are you going to marry my dad?"

I was dumbfounded by how straightforward he was and struggled to answer his question. "Uh, I don't know Joey. All I know is that your dad and I care about each other a lot. It's a bit early to think about marriage."

He nodded, seemingly satisfied with my answer. "Just please don't hurt him. He looks at you the way he used to look at my mom." My teeth tugged at my lower lip, focusing on what he was telling me. "My dad was really upset when he and my mom got divorced." He looked me in the eye. "He can't get like that again."

It was my turn to look at Joey. I placed my hand on his. "Joey, the last thing in the world that I want to do is hurt your dad. I want to be with him and that's not going to change. I promise."

I had to hand it to Joey, he was very perceptive. Billie Joe had told me about the depression he’d gone through when he and Adrienne had split. He had also told me about the brave face he'd put on for the benefit of the boys. I suppose Joey saw through the facade, however. Joey nodded again.

"Ok. I believe you Amelia."

I also found out that Adrienne too was dating someone, but Joey did not care for him. Once Joey and I had cleared the air, we could discuss an artistic project.

"So I had an idea about what you could work on, but if you don't like the idea, just tell me."

"What is it?"

"How about a mural for your bedroom here?" I paused to look at him, trying to gauge his reaction. "You can come up with a plan, sketch it, paint it on a canvas, whatever. Once you know what you want to do, we can go buy some paint and other materials you might need. So you can work on it whenever you want, for as long as you want, whenever you're here."

Joey jumped up from his seat. "That's a great idea. I love it! I've got some ideas already!"

"Great. But I have only two requirements." He gave me a look. "It's nothing big. One: before you begin painting on those walls, your dad has to approve the art. If he isn't ok with it, you cannot go ahead with it until he accepts the idea or concept. Two: you have to finish it. If you start the project, you have to see it through to the end."

Joey had been nodding his head the entire time I was speaking. "That sounds fair."

"Ok great. Well, I'll leave you to come up with some ideas. If you need me, I'll be watching television with Jake." Rising from my seat, I was surprised when Joey grabbed my arm.

"Um, can you stay with me instead? I could bounce a few ideas off you."

I smirked and sat back down. "Sure Joey."

I was so happy that we were getting along. Joey and I were laughing at silly ideas when I heard the front door open. Billie Joe was home.

"Hello? Anybody want to help me with my bags?"

We all rushed to the front of the house to help Billie Joe. Each of us carried bags back to the kitchen, including little Jakob who ran back to his movie the moment the groceries were unpacked.

"Ok, now everyone out of the kitchen. The master chef needs his space." Billie Joe shooed us out of the kitchen, and both Joey and I rolled our eyes, laughing when we noticed each other's identical facial expression. We joined Jakob in the den to watch the rest of the movie.

"Ok guys, come and get it." The meal was ready. I turned off the DVD and the three of us headed toward the kitchen. Whatever Billie Joe prepared, it smelled amazing. We walked into the kitchen and were pleasantly surprised.

On the kitchen table wsat a gigantic stack of pancakes, some chocolate chip, others filled with various fruits. There was a bowl of fruit salad, filled with tropical fruit, some I did not even recognize. Platters covered with scrambled eggs, toast, and bacon decorated the already full table. There was even a small platter abundant in various cheeses. Billie Joe had outdone himself and I was impressed.

"Wow, Billie Joe."

He smiled, pleased that we were impressed, more so that the boys and I were getting along. Joey, Jakob and I stepped towards the table, each of us grabbing a plate and selecting countless items. Billie Joe filled his plate last. We were still sitting at the table chatting when the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it." I dropped my napkin on the table and ran towards the door. As I walked away I could hear Joey telling his father about the mural and discussing a few ideas he was developing. I smiled as I walked away, pleased that Joey had been so interested in my idea. Adrienne was at the door.

"Hey, Adrienne."

"Hi Amelia." I stepped back to let her into the house.

"Mmm, what smells so good?" She raised her nose in the air, attempting to decipher the tantalizing smell.

"Billie Joe made us lunch... well, breakfast. Actually it is lunch made entirely of breakfast foods. Errr... maybe that makes no sense either.” I shook my head. “Are you hungry?"

Adrienne giggled at my failed attempt to explain. "No thanks, dear, I already ate. But maybe we can go to lunch sometime, get to know one another better."

I nodded in agreement. "I'd like that."

"Boys? Are you ready to go?" Adrienne yelled towards the kitchen so her sons could hear her.

"Yeah mom!" Both boys yelled back in unison. Less than a minute later, Billie Joe walked into the living room with their sons.

"Bye boys, be good. And I'll see you soon." Billie Joe leaned against the living room wall, running a hand through his already messy black hair.

"Thanks again, BJ, sorry it was such short notice."

"No worries, Adie."

Adrienne headed towards the door. "Bye."

"Bye dad, bye Amelia, see you next time!" I smiled, excited that they had included me.

"Bye guys!"

Billie Joe and I waved at the boys as they left the house. When the front door closed, Billie Joe kissed me tenderly on the lips. "You're amazing, you know that, right?"

"Psssh, yeah!" I exclaimed. "But why am I amazing this time?"

Billie Joe rolled his eyes. "Because of the way you got along with the boys. They really like you." He looked very pleased.

"They're great kids. I really enjoyed spending time with them and I hope to get to know them better."

"You will."