"Who Would've Thought Getting Knocked Down Would End So Well?"

Stoner's Adventure

Tre and I stumbled out of the house. We instinctively raised our hands above our eyes, shielding ourselves from the incessant sun; we must have forgotten that it was still daytime and the sun seemed to blaze brighter than ever before.

"Fuckin' sun," Tre mumbled to himself.

"Be right back, Tre."

I ran back inside to grab an umbrella so we could shield ourselves. I found only a tiny yellow Sponge Bob umbrella that my niece had forgotten at my home, but never came back for. I grabbed it and stepped outside. Tre took the umbrella from me and opened it immediately. As we walked down the street, huddled together for shelter, I'm sure we were being stared at. At first, we walked quickly, determined to find the ever illusive cookie. This quest, however, was short lived.

Tre gasped. "Sprinklers!"

There was a park across the street where sprinklers were running, allowing children to cool off on those typically hot California afternoons, afternoons such as this. I had just enough time to notice the running water before Tre grabbed my hand and pulled me across the street. As soon as the icy droplets hit my head and shoulders, I was in heaven. Luckily, no one else was using the sprinklers so we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I ran my hands through my wavy hair, trying to avoid some of the tangles that would inevitably appear with the onslaught of water, when I thought I spotted Tre staring at me. I pretended not to notice and enjoyed the water.

After a few minutes I looked around for Tre; he had taken off his shoes and shirt and continued to dance happily under the cool stream of water. Running a hand through his wet hair, he closed his eyes slowly, seemingly lost in the delicious sensation of droplets dancing over his skin. I had to admit that he had a nice body, chest and arms sculpted by over twenty years of drumming. Opening his eyes suddenly, he caught me staring at him. Shifting my gaze quickly, my cheeks reddened slightly. Tre smiled. He began to dance in the muddy grass, thoroughly enjoying himself. I let out a silent sigh of relief that he did not comment on my watching him; it was harmless after all.

I bent down to grab the discarded umbrella, opened it and turned it upside down, filling it with water. I was going to dump the water on Tre's head when he was not paying attention to me.

When his back was turned, I tried my best to sneak up on him. When I was two feet away, my right flip flop decided to give out on me, its strap breaking apart from the rest of the sandal. I slipped, flailing my arms. The water-filled umbrella dumped its contents on my head as I fell onto a particularly muddy patch of grass with a thud. Tre probably would have missed the entire production except that I let out a shriek when I started to slip. He'd turned around quickly and witnessed the entire scene. A smirk turned into a smile and finally into laughter. Tre did not just laugh, though. Tears rolled down his cheeks and he had to ease himself onto the ground, weak from laughing so hard. I glared at him, which only encouraged more laughter.

"Karma's a bitch, Amelia," a few minutes later, once able to function again, Tre stood up and offered a hand to help me stand.

"Thanks for helping me up - ten minutes later, Tre!" I wasn't actually angry, just a little embarrassed.

"You would be laughing too, or instead of me, if your plan had worked."

"Yeah I guess," I walked through the sprinklers again to wash the mud off my clothes and body. "I can't walk, Tre, I broke my sandal," I lifted my foot and pointed at it, attempting to get my point across. Being stoned and therefore having no logic at the moment, I forgot that I could have easily gone home to get another pair of sandals, or just sent Tre.

"Don't worry, I've got ya," he motioned to his shoulders. "Come on."

"Come on, what?" I looked at him questioningly.

"I'm going to carry you. Piggy back ride. More like stallion back ride, actually," he smirked.

"I don't think so Tre."

"Ok, I guess I'll be seeing you around then," He walked away and I realized I needed to do this to get around.

"Wait…fine." Tre bent down slightly and I climbed onto his back. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he held onto my legs. We continued down the street and looked even stranger than we had before; we were soaked, I was on Tre's back, my butt was muddy and I had no shoes. We were a sight to see.

We continued down the block, and a few minutes later we had arrived at the store. Tre put me down and he and I walked in, each grabbing a few bags of cookies, way more than we actually needed. We also picked up candy, chocolate, and beer. We dropped our unhealthy merchandise on the counter and the cashier tried not to stare at us, still soaking wet from the sprinklers. Tre disappeared for a minute then came back with a cheap pair of sandals for me, a tube of crazy glue and a box of extra small condoms.

"Hey babe, I got the condoms and lube for tonight. I hope the condoms aren't too big this time," I was about to slap Tre when I realized he was trying to get a reaction out of the cashier, who began to scan our items. When he picked up the lube he did not know whether or not to tell Tre that he had chosen the wrong item. He cleared his throat.

"Uh, sir. This isn't lube. It's crazy glue," he looked nervous, not sure whether he should have said anything.

Tre handed his credit card to the cashier to pay. "But I always use this and it's amazing. She loves it too, don't you babe?" I was trying my best not to laugh. I nodded furiously. The cashier's eyes grew as wide as saucers with this new information. He handed us the bags quickly, to get the weirdos out of the store; we were the weirdos. Tre grabbed the bags and we walked out. I barely made it outside when I burst into laughter. Tre was hilarious when he wanted to be. I finished laughing and glanced at Tre, raising an eyebrow.

"Extra small condoms, huh?"

"Yeah, I figured I should buy something for Billie Joe," I punched him on the arm and we walked back towards the house. When we passed the park, we dropped our bags and headed for the sprinklers again. I remembered to take off my sandals this time. Tre and I danced under the droplets of cool, refreshing happiness for a while longer. When we'd had our fill for the day, we walked back to the house. I opened the front door and walked in.

"We're back!"

Mike, Drew and Billie Joe left the living room and walked towards us with confused looks on their faces. They took in our wet, matted hair and dripping, muddy clothes.

"Where have you two been? You left almost two hours ago and the store is only two blocks away. And why are you wet?" Tre and I looked at each other, surprised. Had we really been gone that long?

"And where are the cookies?"

Shit, we'd left them at the park.

"You two truly had a stoner adventure," Drew shook his head, taking in our appearance.

Billie Joe was laughing at Tre and I and the way we'd spent our time. Billie Joe and Mike walked over to the park to retrieve the bags Tre and I had carelessly left behind; they insisted on going since they thought we would disappear again. When they returned minutes later, we devoured the cookies at an alarming rate. Mike turned on the television and flipped through the channels. Before we could find something decent to watch, the doorbell rang. Drew got up and ran to the door. The rest of us heard kissing sounds so we immediately knew who it was, Sara.

"Hey guys!"

"Hey Sara," we all replied at once. She and Drew walked into the living room. Sara was holding a box. I was curious.

"What's in the box?"

"Oh, just my essentials for tonight. I'll be moving my belongings in slowly."

Mike, Tre, Drew, Billie Joe and I looked at each other, wide eyed. We had completely forgotten what we were supposed to be doing today. The moving truck was packed and still sitting outside of the house. We’d forgotten that we were supposed to be moving my belongings into Billie Joe's house.