"Who Would've Thought Getting Knocked Down Would End So Well?"

Reflections

Life was slowly getting back to normal. Tre had been released from the hospital three days prior, to the delight of his friends and family. Except for his cane, used temporarily to reduce the stress on his back, he was fine. Physiotherapy had done Tre a world of good; he would be able to start drumming again relatively soon so he and the guys would be able to continue working on their next album.

Mike, too, was fine. His scars were barely visible and he was no longer wearing a cast on his leg. The police had questioned both him and Tre a number of times in an attempt to identify their assailants. To date, the three men were still at large.

Ramona had flown back to New York yesterday. Tre seemed devastated to see his little girl go but school was in session and she needed to be there. Ramona and I had bonded; after all we’d been through together, it was no surprise.

Ramona had asked me to come to the airport with her and Tre, and I was honoured. Standing in the bustling Oakland International Airport, I watched Tre accompany his daughter to the ticket counter; they play fought the entire way. While Tre spoke with the clerk, he discreetly kicked Ramona lightly on the butt. She turned, making a face at him while he continued to speak calmly, as though nothing had happened. I shook my head at them, grinning all the while.

Tre and Ramona were so close. It must have been hard for him to have his daughter living across the country.

Once Ramona’s luggage had been checked in, we decided to walk around the airport until it was time for her to head towards her gate. As the three of us moved about aimlessly, our eyes travelled lazily across the names of the stores we passed. Not really in the mood to shop, we continued to drag our feet across the dull airport floor. We passed a small arcade.

Tre clapped happily. “Oooh, games!”

Grabbing my arm, Ramona pulled me towards a dancing game. “Let’s play this one, Amelia!” She had already stepped onto her side of the platform and waited patiently for me.

“I can’t wait to see this,” Tre announced, rubbing his hands together in anticipation.

I turned and glared at him. “No laughing. I really suck at this game.”

Pushing a few quarters into the designated slot, music began to play as the start menu appeared on the screen. Finally convincing Ramona to play in
novice mode, I waited while she selected the song we would inevitably dance to. Choosing an upbeat techno melody, a myriad of arrows appeared on the screen, instructing me where I should place my feet.

Not quite able to keep up, my steps were off-beat. I began to laugh at myself, missing more steps. Thoroughly amused by my performance, I laughed so hard I could no longer make any attempt to ‘dance.’ The song stopped shortly after. Ramona was graded with a
B+ whereas I received anE, the worst possible grade.

Tre shook his head, disappointed by my performance. “Make way for the pro.” I watched as Tre escorted me off the platform, and stood beside his daughter.

“Ready to lose?”

At the gate, Tre was quiet. Trying to mask the sadness he was obviously experiencing, he took a long shaky breath. He stared at his daughter.

“You know, if you lived here, we wouldn’t have to say goodbye.”

“Dad ...” she warned, already on the brink of tears.

He raised his hand in apology. “I know, I’m sorry.” Walking towards Ramona, Tre wrapped his arms around her and held her tight. I thought he would never let go. They clung to one another, both in tears. My own eyes prickled with tears, witnessing the love between father and daughter, a love I had never truly known. When they finally let go of one another, Tre wiped the corners of his eyes inconspicuously.

“Call me when you get in, ok?” She nodded, smiling weakly.

After saying our goodbyes, Ramona beckoned for me to come closer. Once out of earshot of Tre, she spoke.

“Thank you for being there for my dad. You mean a lot to him and now you mean a lot to me.” Smiling weakly at Ramona, I pulled her in for another hug.

“Thanks, Mona. I care for the both of you so much. I’m so glad I finally got to meet you.”

“Me too.”

A final boarding call for the nonstop flight from Oakland International to La Guardia International echoed throughout the airport, bouncing off its many walls, distorting the announcement. With a final wave, Ramona smiled and waved at Tre and I as she headed into the terminal.

“Tre, you have a very special little girl” I commented admiringly.

Tre turned to me, his previously dull blue eyes now sparkling. “What do you expect? I made her.”

My mind continued to wander as I thought about Tre, Ramona, Mike, and the past few weeks as I laid in bed. No longer sleepy but not yet ready to get up, I draped my right arm across my eyes, blocking out the sunlight that streamed in through the blinds. Billie Joe lay motionless next to me, still asleep. I listened to his steady breathing for a while longer before deciding to get out of bed.

Crawling out from under the soft duvet, I stood up slowly. Stretching, a low moan escaped my lips. Looking towards the bed, I was surprised to see Billie Joe’s emerald eyes sparkling mischievously, staring at me.

“Mmmrm” he groaned, “Come back to bed.” His voice was deep and raspy and very sexy, having just woken up.

I could not help but smile. He looked so cute; his hair stood out in every possible direction while the rest of his body was hidden under the fluffy duvet. A hand reached out from the peach-coloured cocoon, making a desperate, yet failing, attempt to make a grab at me.

A small giggle tumbled from my lips. “You’ll have to try harder than that if you want to get me” I teased, moving a step further from the bed.

A smile crept onto his face. “Playing hard to get, are we?”

Shrugging nonchalantly, I remained in place defiantly.

I barely heard Billie Joe say, “Fine, have it your way” before he jumped out of bed and bounded towards me. Laughing, I darted away from him. Dashing towards the bedroom door, I opened it quickly and shut it behind me. I heard Billie Joe curse as he slammed into the door.

“I’m gonna get you, Amelia.”

Never looking back, I sprinted down the stairs, but I could hear Billie closing in on me. Thinking quickly, I ran through the kitchen and headed into the backyard, laughing all the way. I laughed until I was out of breath.

Once in the backyard, I turned my head upwards, looking to the sky and momentarily forgetting my purpose for being outside - getting away from Billie Joe. The clouds were dark and oppressive, a heavy rainfall imminent. I was intrigued as it was so sunny when I was in bed not too long ago. As I stood, distracted, Billie Joe had seized this opportunity to catch up to me.

Wrapping his arms around my waist, we gazed lovingly into each other’s eyes. I had always been aware of my love for him, but it was at that moment that I truly saw that love reflected back; the way Billie Joe looked at me at that moment could have rendered me a puddle on the dewy grass. Biting his bottom lip, he surveyed my face, seeming to memorize every line, every contour, every feature. We stood for what may have been seconds or minutes, time was irrelevant. Droplets began to fall steadily from the sky, slowly dampening our clothes.

Peering into my eyes and straight through to my soul, Billie Joe broke the silence. “I love my life when I’m with you.”

I raised a hand to cup his face. Feeling a smattering of his prickly stubble against the palm of my hand, a sense of familiarity and comfort washed over me, a feeling I had not experienced much of in my life. Billie Joe must have sensed this change in me because although I did not speak, he nodded. All that was around us faded into the background. Rain began to fall heavily, tears from heaven clinging to our bodies hungrily.

Billie Joe leaned in to kiss me and I felt electric currents running through my body. The intensity of the kiss was unparalleled to anything I had ever experienced. Holding me tighter against him, I melted into his body. Closing my eyes as his tongue explored the cavern of my mouth, I was focused on the passion behind our caress. Throughout my life I had built many walls, walls that had protected me from getting hurt but had also kept others from getting too close. These walls came crashing down as the rain continued to pelt us with fury.

As we embraced, Billie Joe lowered us onto the grass. Breaking our kiss, my eyes drifted to his swollen lips. He smirked then leaned in for another meaningful embrace. The sensation of the cool, wet grass contrasted with the searing heat that emanated from Billie Joe’s body and sent an involuntary shiver through my body.

Billie Joe stopped to look at me, concerned. “Are you cold? Do you want to head inside?” His sparkling green eyes scanned my face, waiting for an answer.

I shook my head. “No, I’m fine. Let’s stay outside.”

Billie Joe nodded.

Our bodies melded into the softened, yielding earth. Billie Joe’s form rested comfortably above my own, his weight supported by his strong arms. His olive eyes glowed with passion under the thicket of raven hair that clung to his face, held in place by the steady downpour above us.

Billie Joe lowered himself onto me slowly and began placing soft kisses along my jawline and the nape of my neck. Grabbing hold of one of the straps of my camisole, he slid the thin fabric off my shoulder gently. I felt his soft lips graze my shoulder blade. My body came alive under his touch. A sigh of contentment slipped from my lips.

Billie Joe slid his rough, warm fingertips under my top, caressing the soft skin of my stomach. Leaning in for another kiss, his hands moved northward, touching me gently, setting my senses ablaze. Lacing my fingers through his wet hair, I pulled him in closer, attacking his mouth with my own. The more contact I received, the more I craved. I was overflowing with need, and the same sentiment was reflected in his lust filled eyes. Sitting up momentarily, I took off the cumbersome camisole, carelessly throwing it aside. Billie Joe followed suit, ripping his Misfits t-shirt from his body and adding it to our growing pile of clothing. Left only in our undergarments, I leaned towards Billie Joe, helping him out of his boxers. He grinned.

“You’re wearing far too much clothes for my liking,” he growled.

Biting my lip in anticipation, I watched as Billie Joe carefully, yet hastily, rid me of my final piece of clothing.

An hour later, Billie Joe and I stood in the kitchen in warm, dry clothes, each of us clutching a cup of hot cocoa. The rain continued to fall heavily. Billie Joe placed his empty cup in the sink and filled it with water. Turning to face me, he smiled slyly.

I squinted at him suspiciously. “Why are you smiling at me like that?”

Smiling nonchalantly, he shrugged his shoulders. “Nothing ...” he trailed off.

“Ok Billie, out with it. What are you thinking about?”

“I was thinking maybe we should have a party tonight.” He shrugged again. “We could even make it a costume party since it's almost Halloween.”

It wasn’t a bad idea. In fact, it would be nice to spend time with our friends in a celebratory setting, especially after the events of the past few weeks. I felt as though I had not seen Drew in ages and I missed him. I had been feeling tired and a bit under the weather lately but I was always up for a party. Billie Joe stared at me intently, awaiting my reply.

“Let’s have a party!” I exclaimed. “I’ll call everyone.” Placing my own cup in the sink next to Billie Joe’s, I grabbed the cordless phone then walked out of the kitchen and headed into the den, followed closely by Billie Joe.

“Sounds good. I’m going to head out, buy some supplies for tonight, i.e. alcohol.”

Smiling, I plopped myself onto the couch ungracefully, preparing to make a few phone calls.

“Ok. See you later.” Billie Joe bent down to kiss me. Moments later I heard the front door close.