"Who Would've Thought Getting Knocked Down Would End So Well?"

After Party

Standing outside of Noir, an icy breeze slithered through the opening of my jacket, causing an involuntary shiver to emerge from my body. Wrapping my coat tightly across my frame and folding my arms across my chest, I began shifting from one leg to another in an attempt to keep warm from the biting San Francisco wind. Billie Joe, Mike, Tre, and Drew, knowing the city better than I, discussed the pros and cons of various bars in the immediate area. After ten minutes of listening to their endless debate over where we should have drinks, I had a better idea.

“You know…” I trailed off, waiting for my friends to stop bickering and listen to me, “I wouldn’t mind getting wasted at one of our houses. That way, we don’t have to worry about getting back to Oakland afterwards.”

“The lady presents a valid point.” Tre agreed, tapping his index finger to his chin in a contemplative manner.

“Whose house?” Billie Joe inquired, making conversation rather than actually caring where we would eventually end up.

Mike shrugged. “Let’s do it at my house. I have plenty of liquor.”

“Sold!” Tre exclaimed, already heading to his SUV; Mike and Drew quickly followed Tre to his vehicle while Billie Joe and I strolled to his car hand in hand, taking in the hustle and bustle of San Francisco nightlife.

In the car, Billie Joe and I chatted about nothing in particular on our way to Mike’s house. Watching San Francisco recede in the rear view mirror I smiled; I had enjoyed my birthday celebration so far and looked forward to partying at Mike’s. Reaching across the centre console of the car, Billie Joe placed his hand on my lap. Covering his hand with my own, I squeezed gently. Billie Joe took his eyes off the road momentarily to focus his glowing green orbs upon my countenance. There was an intensity that made my skin prickle with anticipation. He quickly turned his attention back to the road and we did not speak until we arrived at Mike’s. Parking the car in the ample driveway, Billie Joe turned to face me and reached into his pants pocket.

“Here” he said, handing me a small box.

“What’s this?” I asked curiously, eyeing the elegantly wrapped silver box.

“It’s your birthday present. Open it.”

“Billie Joe, you did not have to get me a gift.” I said and I meant it. Spending time with my loved ones on my birthday was its own gift.

“I didn’t have to but I wanted to, and I think you’ll like it.”

Rolling my eyes playfully, I tore the shiny silver paper enveloping the small parcel, placing its shreds on my lap for the time being. Lifting the cover of the tiny cardboard box I found myself face to face with a key.

“What is this?” I asked, confused by the present. Lifting it from the box, I stared intently at the shining piece of metal as if by focusing, I could figure out why this key was my gift. “I don’t understand, Billie Joe. Why did you give this to me? I already have a key to the house.”

“It’s the key to your new car, babe.” My jaw dropped yet I remained silent for the time being. "Your old car scares me. One day it’s going to shut down on the freeway and never start up again, and you need to have a reliable car that you also like. Remember when we went to the car dealership a few weeks ago?” I nodded. “Well I wasn’t looking for a car for myself, I wanted to see what you liked.” My eyes opened wide with shock. “And I remember you were particularly focused on the silver 2007 BMW 3 Series 323i.”

“You didn’t!” I exclaimed, forgetting that I had not wanted a gift in the first place.

“I did.”

I was surprised, excited, and appreciative. He had noticed the rapid degeneration of the scrap metal I used to call my car and replaced it with something beyond what I would have expected or could ever afford on my own.

“Thank you so much, Billie Joe. Words cannot express my gratitude for the way you’ve treated me. But isn’t that car expensive?” I could not help but worry; sometimes it was my downfall.

“Don’t worry about it, Amelia, it’s all taken care of. Besides, I’m a rock star!” He chuckled softly at his own comment.

I kissed him sweetly on the lips, however, the embrace quickly became anything but innocent. Closing my eyes, I revelled in the sensation of Billie Joe’s expert tongue exploring the warm cavern of my mouth, my own tongue darting about, knowing what effect this would have on him. Finally pulling away to catch my breath, I seized the opportunity to climb over the centre console and straddle his lap. Claiming his lips once more, the car was filled with the sound of heavy breathing. Grinding my body against his, I was fully aware of his growing excitement and relished the delicious friction resulting from our movement. Reaching for his belt, I wasted no time in pulling it open and unfastening the clasp of his dress pants. Billie Joe grinned at me through dark, lust filled eyes, both amused and turned on by my haste. Rising slightly from my irresistible position on Billie Joe’s lap, I waited while he pushed his pants and boxers to his knees, freeing his obvious erection. Stroking him lightly, I smiled at his reaction to my touch.

“Your turn,” he growled, ready to rip my clothes off. Hiking up my skirt, Billie Joe reached for my panties, pulling them down impatiently. Biting my lip in anticipation, my eyes slammed shut when I felt his fingers roam, setting my senses ablaze. Now panting feverishly, Billie Joe knew it was now or never; we were already late getting to Mike’s and someone was bound to interrupt us one way or another. Removing his hand from under my skirt, he guided himself into me. Grinding my body against his had never felt so wonderful. Moving slowly at first, Billie Joe held me against his body. Nibbling at his shoulder, the thick material of his sweater proved to somewhat stifle my screams of pleasure. Our impatience, tardiness, and above all passion, brought us to a hurried, frantic pace that drove us to the brink of orgasm. Panting, moaning and losing all grasp of the English language, I felt a warm stirring in my gut which slowly began to radiate to the rest of my body. Billie Joe, too, was close to his climax. Slamming my body onto his own, he pushed towards his own orgasm, a slur of profanities tumbling from his mouth. Screaming as my body tightened and clenched around Billie Joe, I rode out my orgasm, becoming a flustered mess on the lap of my fiancé who climaxed seconds after myself. Billie Joe and I sat in a tangled heap while our breathing returned to normal; climbing off Billie Joe and readjusting my clothing, he followed suit.

Smirking knowingly at one another, we exited the car and headed towards Mike’s front door where we were obviously the last to arrive. Walking through the front door with Billie Joe we could hear Tre, Mike, and Drew arguing over the recipe to a Dr. Pepper, the version made entirely out of alcohol. Following the sound of their voices, it did not take long to find them in the living room.

Drew waved enthusiastically as I walked towards him. “Hey birthday girl!”

Sitting next to my best friend, I momentarily laid my head against his shoulder, revelling in the happiness that was my birthday. Wrapping his arm around me, he laid his head on top of mine. Drew was my family; we did not always make time for each other as much as we should have, but we were there for one another during times of crisis. I did not know what I would do without Drew. I was derailed from my train of thought when I felt Drew’s fingers poking at my abdomen. I raised my head from his shoulder to glare at him.

“Drew, what are you doing?”

“Your belly is a bit rounder than before, no? It’s usually pretty flat.”

I punched his arm. “Are you trying to tell me that I’ve gained weight? Tread lightly Drew, you know I’m sensitive about that.”

“You know I wouldn’t try to hurt you, Amelia. It’s just an observation. Could you maybe be …” he trailed off.

“Be what?”

“Forget it. I think it’s just me, we haven’t spent much time together lately and maybe I’m just mixing you up with Sara.” Drew rambled and I knew he was lying. I just did not know why he was lying. I decided to drop the subject and fix myself a drink. After all, it was my birthday.

My friends and fiancé took it upon themselves to make drinks for me all night, thus facilitating my inebriation. After polishing off my sixth drink, a properly prepared Dr. Pepper, I stood up shakily in need of the washroom due to my excessive alcohol consumption. I was drunk. Slamming my glass onto the polished wooden coffee table, I stood quickly, nearly losing my balance. Laughing, I stepped over an unconscious Mike and stumbled out of the room, mumbling all the way. I was totally incapable of having any internal dialogue when I was drunk and therefore rambled the entire time.

“Whoa. Damn wall. Shouldn’t be there, should you?” I shook my head. “No, you shouldn’t.” Stumbling down the hallway in search of the bathroom, I continued my nonsensical rant.

“Where’s that bathroom I need? I gotta pee, man. Like, what the hell?”

Finally reaching the sacred space better known as the washroom, I used the facilities and made my way back to my friends. Tre and Billie Joe were playing chess with a set where all the pieces were shot glasses. Billie Joe looked sickly from the impressive volume of alcohol he had consumed and Tre looked a bit worse than Billie Joe. Drew had stepped outside for fresh air but had fallen asleep in the backyard; sadly, no one had the energy or will to bring him inside.

It wasn’t long before I needed the washroom again. Stumbling to my feet once more, I staggered towards the hallway.

“Where are you going Mmmelia?” Tre slurred, barely able to keep his eyes open.

I leaned against the wall for support. “To pee. I broke the seal cause I draaank too much now I gotta pee even though I just went. And I don’t wanna go but I have to so yeah I’m going.” I turned in the direction of the bathroom as Tre called out behind me.

“You pee like a pregnant woman” he called to me as I moved towards my destination. Washing my hands in the sink, I looked at myself in the mirror. I was not a pretty sight; my eyes were glazed over, my hair a bird’s nest, and any trace of makeup I had been wearing had long been smudged and smeared all over my face. I was a disaster. Shaking my head at my appearance without actually caring, I stepped back into the hallway when Drew and Tre’s words hit me.

“Your belly is a bit swollen, no? It’s usually pretty flat ...Could you maybe be ...” he trailed off.

“Be what?” I asked, unaware of what he was hinting at.

“Forget it.”


Then there was Tre who had called out to me on my way to the bathroom, declaring, “You pee like a pregnant woman”

Could I be pregnant? It would explain a few things such as the nausea I had been experiencing lately, the weakness, the fatigue. In addition, Drew had implied that I had gained weight in my mid-section. No, I could not be pregnant. Drew and Tre had made innocent comments and I was overanalysing. It was just the alcohol talking ... wasn’t it?