Status: I finally updated... expect more =)

When No One's Watching

03.

Be there, or be square, beotch. The text read. I sighed, pulling the blanket back over my head. I had stayed with Kendra until eleven last night, before returning home and collapsing into my bed. Minutes prior, I had been awakened from my slumber the obnoxious ringtone that Kendra and I had recorded last summer. It screamed, pick up the damn phone! Pick up the damn phone! multiple times before I had enough energy to read the message.

There was going to be another party tonight at one of my teammates houses in honor of our win last night. I will never understand these girls, isn’t one party enough? But I was trapped into going. Great, I thought, what the hell am I going to wear? I knew I shouldn’t worry about such a thing, but in all honesty, I don’t own any “party” clothes. My school clothes aren’t anything special, and sweatpants are a definite no. I could always call Kendra, but then I would never hear the end of it. She loves clothes.

I paced for a bit more before deciding upon just taking a shower and dealing with the clothing dilemma later. Once in the shower, I let the cold water run over me. I personally did not like hot water, for I preferred not to feel like I was being burned or cooked. After I got out, I dried myself off and slipped on some jeans and a t-shirt and was back to standing in front of my closet. After ten more minutes, I decided that there was nothing at all to wear, so I grabbed my wallet and headed down stairs.

“I’m going downtown!” I called to my parents in no particular direction. There was a muffled sound, signaling that they had heard me, and I took it as my cue to go.

Once I reached the familiar streets of down town, I parked my car and headed for the nearest store, Dulcinéa, which happened to be an upscale boutique with pixie dresses in the window display. I entered the store and carefully wiped off my converse on the doorway mat so would not track snow all over the place. I instantly spotted a mid-thigh length tulle skirt in a dark burgundy. I figured I could pair it with a pair of my mom’s heels and some random shirt, so I decided to try it on.

It fit wonderfully and I twirled around in it for what seemed like ages in front of the three way mirror, watching it spin out in a full circle. It wasn’t until the sales lady gave me a dirty look that I decided to take it off and pay for it.

“Your total is sixty-seven fifty” the same sales lady from earlier informed me as I took out my debit card.

“Thank you and have a nice day,” She told me with a dull smile before going back to her copy of Vogue. As nice as the clothing was here, the stuck up employees and modernized set up made it cold and uninviting, so I gave a quick nod before hurrying out of the store and back into the snow. I walked my way over to my car and threw the bag in the trunk before deciding to stop into Paul’s.

The familiar bell sounded with a sharp ‘ding’ as I entered. I inhaled. It was the same treasured scent that I loved. It was completely different her than at the clothing store I had formerly been in. This was inviting and comforting and I could spend forever in here if it wasn’t for school. Oh yeah, and basketball.

“Back again?” a strong voice pulled me from my thoughts. I looked to where the voice had come from. It was Finn. His hair looked luscious and a small smile was tugging at the corners of his mouth. Cute.

“Um, yeah, I was just next door getting some clothes, and, um, stuff,” I stuttered.

“Sounds cool,” He said smoothly, nodding his head, “What’s the occasion?”

“Huh?” I asked dumbly.

“Well, you don’t seem like the kind of person who likes to shop,” He prompted.

“Oh, there’s this stupid party tonight,” I brushed it off, but then stopped, “Wait, what kind of person do you think I am?” I asked, now curious to what he thought of me.

“You just seem laid back and, I dunno, into books instead of clothes?” He suggested with an air of confidence, not enough to sound cocky, but enough to ensure his assertiveness.

“Yeah, I guess that’s pretty much me,” I agreed, looking to my feet. It grew quiet.

“Are you looking for anything today?” Finn asked me after a while.

“Not really, I just like it here, it’s comforting,” I said, smiling a little.

“Oh, well, that’s perfectly fine,” He said returning to the front desk and sitting in the chair, looking up expectantly at me, “You were in the fantasy section yesterday, am I correct?” I nodded and he continued, “We got a few new ones in yesterday after you left, they’re in the back.” He informed me.

“Cool, thanks.” I said, “I’ll check them out,” I added before turning to and walking to find them. Just like Finn had said, there was a milk crate filled with roughly twenty books ready to be shelved. I pulled the top one off and examined the cover. It had a beautiful fairy stretching across the front cover and on to the back. I opened it up and began to read.

I must have been reading for longer than I thought, because Finn interrupted me just as I had reached page seventy.

“I thought I’d check on you, it’s been an hour you know,” He informed me, looking smugly down at where I sat.

“Oh, really?” I said, shocked.

“Yeah, I have no problem with you here, I just thought I’d let you know how long it’s been,” He said.

“Thanks,” I smiled up at him and he turned to go. “Wait!” I called after him.

“Yeah,” He replied.

“I probably should be going,” I said, standing up with the book in hand, “So I’ll need to buy this,” I motioned to the book.

“Oh, okay,” He replied and made his way to the front of the store; I followed. As he rang up the price on the cash register, a question came to my mind.

“Why are you running the store all by your self?” I asked, handing over some cash. Finn took it, and after he was done getting my change, he replied.

“Because Paul has physical therapy every Saturday,” Finn informed me. How could I have forgotten? Ever since the car accident Paul had gotten into two years ago, he’s had to go to physical therapy every Saturday from ten in the morning to noon, and then he usually didn’t get into the shop until one or so. Covering for him used to be Sarah’s position, but I assumed she was busy with moving arrangements.

“Oh yeah,” I said softly, letting out a giggle at my own forgetfulness.

“I’ll be here every Saturday morning if you want to keep visiting me,” Finn joked as I headed out the door. I turned and let out a full smile, and as I did, I saw him wink.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back from Ecuador and finally all caught up on school work, piano lessons, my vocal solo, and SLEEP. So I proudly present this chapter and the lovely banner on the summary page made by pixichick1212 =)

Ecuador was amazing. I'm not going to say a lot here, cause I have two journals full of everything, but I swam with piranhas while in the Amazon. =D

READ JOURNAL! http://www.mibba.com/journals/read/126515/

That's the shorter of the two journals and it has lots of pictures =)

Peace&Love, Erin