Status: I finally updated... expect more =)

When No One's Watching

05.

It was Monday again when I entered the shiny new doors of my high school. I searched the crowd of faceless students for Kendra, or even Tanner, but all I saw were my basketball team. None of the girls showed any sign of their partying from the other night. Katie’s hair was in its usual bouncy curls, Allison’s eyes were wide awake and primped with mascara, and Jessica’s clothes were neat and conservative. No one would guess that 36 hours earlier, they had been drunk, with flat hair, smeared make up, and skimpy clothing. That was the novelty of being part of the team. If you stuck with them, no one would turn you in for being drunk.

I didn’t want to talk to the team at the moment, so I pretended that I hadn’t seen them and walked right past them. They didn’t notice me either, so I walked on, trying to find someone before the bell rang and was forced to go to AP statistics all over again. It’s just another day, I told myself, you can make it through.

I had just reached my locker when I heard the dreaded sound. Ding. “Dammit” I cursed under my breath, and I dragged myself to class, ready, but reluctant, to start the day.

- - - - -

It was finally seventh hour with only two more minutes left of school. I had already packed up my books and was hardly paying attention to what my Pre Calculous teacher was monotonously droning about. My eyes darted to the clock. One more minute. As much as I wanted to get out of math, I knew that what came next wasn’t any better. Basketball practice started at four, meaning I would have a half an hour to collect my books, make my way to the locker room, change, and stretch out.

Ding. Time to go. I hurried out of my desk and pushed my way through the crowded hallways. I disliked the rush and the stress that basketball brought upon me. If only my dad could understand how I’d rather be reading or hanging with Kendra. But to my dismay, basketball is my second priority, following school of course, and it took up a large chunk of my time.

“D’Aunno! Wait!” I heard a familiar voice call.

“What is it Hays?” I yelled back without even turning around. I already knew it was Tanner. He walked with me to my locker after school almost every day.

“What’s the hurry?” He asked me when he finally caught up to me. I looked at him, amused.

“The same it is every day,” I replied dully.

“Of course it is. Now listen,” He said hastily with a sly smile, “I’ve got two tickets to the game on Friday, and you’re coming with me.” I stopped short and stared at him.

“Like a date?” I asked dumbly.

“Yes, like a date, is that a problem D’Aunno?” he joked lightly

“Um, no, not at all,” I recovered.

“Great, I’ll pick you up, eh, five-ish?” Tanner suggested.

“Sounds good,” I replied, biting my lower lip.

“Cool,” Tanner smiled, “I’ve got to go now, but I’ll see you later.” He said before waving and walking away.

“Bye,” I said more to myself. What just happened?
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a while for this story, hasn't it? I'm sorry about that, but school is out now and I hope things will go better for this story now. =)
comment?

Peace&Love, Erin