‹ Prequel: Lady of the Lake

The Foundlings

Dazed and angry, the healer maiden Morgaine escapes to the Lake nearby her village, thinking of her obscure past. To her surprise, she finds a man lying in the grass there, a man with no name and no language known to others, who had raised himself in the forest after being abandoned by a man strangely similar to the now-dying King. Feeling a kinship to his past and seeing a strange familiarity in his eyes, she brings him to her home where he learns to speak and struggles to understand his memories of the past.

Life goes on as usual--and the village is talking of many things. The seeming scandal of the maiden Morgaine carrying a naked, collapsed man through the village to her house. The disappearance of an infant, supposedly dead, and the appearance of one in Morgaine's house, and another, older one in the forest, being raised by the druid Merlin. The King is now dying, and is heirless, and begins to talk of people who live by the lake--one, specifically, a woman who the villagers think he is confusing with Morgaine herself. The King and the foundling man both begin searching near the far side of the Lake, where it is rumored that many things had originated--the King, searching to atone for his remembrances, and the man, to recognize his memories for what they truly are and what they will mean for the future of the heirless King, the lady of the Lake, Morgaine, the foundling child, and himself.
  1. (Morgaine) The man I found.
    Morgaine discovers a man with an odd connection to her past visible in his face, and an unusual bond of recognition causes her to investigate further this strange event.
  2. (Arthur) My past.
    The man reflects on his life before he woke up near the Lake, and the past he barely remembers.
  3. (Arthur) Recognition.
    The man wakes up.
  4. (Morgaine) Protection.
    Morgaine decides to learn more about him, and to heal him.
  5. (The villagers' perspective) Shock twice over.
  6. (Arthur) The unconscious world.
    The man 's confusion and dream-thoughts.
  7. (Morgaine) Parallels.
    Morgaine remembers her own similarities...
  8. (Morgaine) Duality.
    He heals, and Morgaine begins to adjust to living with someone else after the solitary way her life was.
  9. (Morgaine) Bitterroot, bitter fate.
    A man Morgaine was healing dies.
  10. (Morgaine) Love.
    The return of spring brings about a pressing question the man can barely say.
  11. (Morgaine) The boy-child.
    Surprising herself and the woman unwilling to kill her own child because of her husband, Morgaine suddenly acquires an infant boy.
  12. (Arthur) Memories of the past.
    Things become rather overwhelming for the man Morgaine found, as the present suddenly merges with his past.
  13. (The villagers' perspective) Confluence.
    The villagers suddenly realize the parallels between Morgaine and the dying King.
  14. (Morgaine) Spring returns.
    Morgaine begins to notice things...
  15. (Morgaine) The King.
  16. (Arthur) Confusion.
  17. (Uther, the King) Not on the surface.
  18. (Uther, the King) The unconscious world.
  19. (Arthur) Realization.
  20. (Arthur) Son of the dying king.
  21. (Arthur) Dreams of Past and Future.
  22. (Arthur) Death?
  23. (Arthur) His blood.
  24. (Morgaine) A name.
  25. (Morgaine) The Beltane child.
  26. (Morgaine) The light and the dark thoughts.
  27. (Morgaine) The Lake.
  28. (Morgaine) Arianllyn.
  29. (Morgaine) Bitterroot and secrets of the mind.
  30. (Morgaine) The man I saw...
  31. (Morgaine) Gwenhwyfar, and bitterroot's blood.
  32. (Morgaine) Raven.
  33. (Morgaine) Lake.
  34. (Morgaine) The flow of time.
  35. (Morgaine) Parting.
  36. (Morgaine) The king is dead.
  37. (Morgaine) Gwenhwyfar.
  38. (Arthur) Decisions.
  39. (Morgaine) The two dragons.
  40. (Arthur) Breath. Life.
  41. (Morgaine) Winter.
  42. (Morgaine) Spring.
  43. (Morgaine) Shape of the sword.
  44. (Arthur) Dream of fate.
  45. (Arthur) Sword of water.
  46. (Arthur) Lancelet and the other lake.
  47. (Gwydion) Life and death and fate.
  48. (Gwydion) The blood-oath.
  49. (Gwydion) Not the fated one.
  50. (Gwydion) What will be.
  51. (Gwydion) Two paths.
  52. (Gwydion) Equilibrium.
  53. (Gwydion) The sword in the Lake.
  54. (Morgaine) Fate's unseen paths.
  55. (Gwydion) Will to live, will to die.
  56. Epilogue.