Never Trust a Crow

A Sappy Moment Interrupted

Image
The store looked neat and polished compared to the sign that hung above and had rusted with definite age. “When entering a new setting one should take it all in.” I once read this quote in a book and subconsciously tucked it in the back of my mind. This store applied to this circumstance. The sweet smell was like I had just died in heaven, the air was muggy with scents of melted chocolate, freshly cut apples, and sweet pies. Whenever I took a deep breath I was startled with a sudden sugar rush that made my fingers jump with ecstasy.

I was most definitely on cloud nine. While I was overwhelmed by the scents of the streets I didn’t notice the visitor that had appeared in front of my face.

“Miss? Miss? Would you like to try some?”

My eyes scanned the food that was laid out on an ornate porcelain-white glass dish. Bits of bitter dark chocolate was scattered haphazardly across the plate.

“No thanks.” I said firmly.

“Oh please Miss. I promise you will like it.”

I studied her for a few seconds. The forest green nametag that matched her apron read Kikue. Her tanned fingers twirled her obviously dyed platinum blonde hair. Every once and a while she would pop her neon pink gum in a bored manner.

“I promise I didn’t spit on them or anything.”

A sly smile appeared on her face as I narrowed my eyes at the strange girl.

“How can I mark you words?” I asked back.

“Like I would want to trick you. I’m just doing this so I can go on a vacation next summer.”

“Kiki didn’t I tell you to leave all the pretty girls to me?” A lower voice from behind me yelled.

Kikue rolled her pretty dark eyes signaling annoyance to the intruder. My head slowly rotated so it was almost backwards like an owl. My eyes met with a dark pair I had met earlier on.

“You came! I didn’t think you would come. Kiki this is the girl that I was talking about.”

Kiki rolled her eyes again and picked up a chocolate from the plate.

“Looks like Mr. Hiroshi has a new pet.” Kikue smiled in a playful manner as she popped the chocolate past her lipstick smeared lips.

“Looks like Miss. Kikue forgot her manners and mixed up her catty attitude with her nice.”

“Ha ha. Very funny Hiro.” Her eyes flickered to something in the distance. “Well I’ll be right back, I think I see a potential customer.”

Kikue started to run down the sweltering sidewalk chasing a lean black figure. Hiro turned to me and gave me a bright smile.

“So lollipop. Shall I show you around the candy land?” His smile faltered when he said this. “Wait! That sounded really creepy. Let me try that again. --- Hey girl I just met today. Do you want me to show you around the store?”

With a smile and a nod I accepted his offer. Seconds later his arm was around my shoulders ushering me inside the sweet shop. There was an orange oak counters that covered 3 out of 4 of the stores cream colored walls. On every counter there was some sort of sweet. Chocolate, cookies, pies, and little figurines made up most of the inventory. I could just live in this store.

In fifteen minutes my hands were full of various sweets. Hiro was flirting with me like there was no tomorrow. I seceded in getting everything half-off. Hiro was busy looking for the brown paper bags that he seemed to displace. He was shuffling boxes behind the counter, not letting me leave until he found them.

“I’m really sorry Andi. I thought I put them away. But I guess I forgot to.”

I awkwardly set the candy on the counter and haphazardly jumped over the wooden counter.

“You need any help?” I asked.

“Sure” was his surprise.

We searched the boxes until we came about one full of mirrors and bags. My hand reached toward the brown box pulling it closer it me. At the exact same moment Hiro let out a victorious yawp; causing my hand to jerk the box and the mirrors to shatter. The floor was a mess with sharp shards of glass. Why did I have to go and ruin a good moment? Hiro quickly shot up and went into the back repeating sorry like a broken record. Just as I was about to get up I felt the presence of new person.

“Seven years.” Said the person.

“What.” My eyes flickered towards the new visitor.

“Ok I’ll make it five only for you.” Said the boy. The same one. The one who smelled of cinnamon and cigarettes. Why was he here?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait. This is for Chrissy because she's just way cool like that.