Status: Slow updates

Dark Rose

Chapter 5

Despite the bad light and late hour when she saw him, she knew it was the same man from last night.
She had completely forgotten about him, an annoying but necessary defense mechanism she had developed over the years. She forgot all events that had caused her fear until things settled down and she could handle it, or something triggered the memory. That was probably why she had slept so well last night; she had suppressed all bad memories, resulting in a nightmare free night. Raisa didn’t miss a step as she walked to the counter, using her hip to push Jeremy aside.
“Hello, how may I help you?” Upon inspection she noticed that his eyes were olive instead of gray and that he couldn’t have been any older than Raisa herself, his expression of such seriousness and wisdom.
“Well,” he paused to look at her nametag, “Raisa, I think I’ll have a black hazelnut coffee, with…” he though for a moment, looking through the glass siding of the counter, “one of those,” he said pointing to a thin powdery pastry.
“So, Raisa, that’s an interesting name, where does it come from?” He asked as she opened the slider and grabbed his pastry.
“I’m not really sure actually, but I think it’s Jewish, which is slightly odd since absolutely nobody in my family is Jewish,” Raisa was trying her best to sound slightly ditzy, but only enough to seem harmless. She argued with herself as she bustled around unnecessarily while getting his coffee. Half of her wanted to run and hide, while the other wanted to beat the answers out of him and neither option was useful or feasible. Raisa had ground into herself years before to never run unless her life was in danger and she hated beating people in any way. Of course there was the necessary physical damage to apprehend someone trying to harm her, but she never did any more harm than necessary, she only went out at night to help lost and neglected kids stuck wandering before anyone found a ‘use’ for them and dragged them in as she had been so many years ago. She still hadn’t escaped. Rose was a way she could rebel without harmed as long as she kept her identity a secret from those who would use it against her.
“That comes out to three dollars and eighty-nine cents please.” She handed him his coffee and a bag for the pastry.
“Of course, here you go.” He dropped the money into her hand, “oh, and um, would you like to meet me for lunch or something sometime? I know it’s really abrupt but I just feel like I know you from somewhere and it’s gonna drive me nuts otherwise” he gave her a slightly apologetic look.
“Um, sure but I’m afraid it’ll have to be during my break, I really don’t have much for free time, but uh, would tomorrow at twelve work?” her stomach flopped.
“Ya, sure, see you then I guess,” he gave her a small smile and left, sipping his coffee.

“Since when were nervous about dates? Or, for that matter, accept them?” Jeremy had cornered her after their shift.
“Since he seems nice and if I get close enough I might be able to find out why he walked out of the main warehouse sober.”
“Raisa, what have I said about getting in over your head? It’s dangerous, you know that.”
“Of course I know, how do think I found out in the first place? There’s a reason I don’t get caught, I know what my limits are and I know how to handle anything that comes my way.”
“And what if something you don’t know how to handle happens? What then? You’ll go back to your brother in the tunnels? Because I know you were just so happy there.” He spit the words out as if poisonous.
Her brother lived in the underground tunnels, helping her from the other end by removing kids who hadn’t been completely corrupted and had been taken before she could get them. Nobody knew he existed as more than a petty thief who kept to himself, not a genius who smuggled stolen children out of the tunnel city. Once out, they were sent to Raisa who had a list of hand-picked homes lined up as a sort of foster care system. Everything was one hundred percent legitimate and legal. The authorities had tried to intervene at first, but after the first few disastrous placings they decided that as long as they agreed with her choices and there were no mishaps they’d give her a chance. Of course they never gave her room for error, so if one placement went wrong her head would be on the chopping block.
“We agreed you wouldn’t bring that up.” Her voice dropped, eyes narrowing.
“The situation called for it. There doesn’t seem to be any other way to get it through that thick skull of yours, that you’re in over your head.”
“Because I’m not, you’re just being paranoid.”

*~*~*~*
Once again, Raisa found herself on the streets with nothing to do but wander. She wasn’t really in the mood to go back to the warehouses since she was still a bit spooked. Eventually she found herself walking through one of the many deserted alleyways, trash scattered down its length, some of it moving as the rats scavenged for food. Rounding the corner, she saw a group of thugs, all large and all malicious judging by the way they were circled around what Raisa was pretty sure was a teenager beneath all of the grit and muck. Kicking a pile of trash to get their attention, she stood completely still waiting for them to register that there was somebody there. Finally seeing the glimmer of recognition in their eyes, she spoke “It seems to me that your mothers never thought you any manners. Or hygiene for that matter, you people reek!” she waved her hand in front of her as nose.
“You better hold your tongue girl,” one of the thugs stepped forward. He had an ugly scar that ran across his nose and suddenly turned down, running over his mouth, slurring his speech.
“Hm, looks like you would know too, judging from that scar.” She smirked.
With a yell, the man charged towards her, the others following. It was what looked like three to one as she quickly turned and ran down the alley she had just come from. She hadn’t forgotten about the presumably unconscious teen, but she needed to be alive in order to help and going three to one with men twice her size was not the way to do it. Pressing the little red button on her beeper to alert the police, she kept running, skipping the obvious choice of the fire escape ladder. The roofs may have been where she was most comfortable but there was no way she would be able to reach them, even if she jumped. Turning another corner, she wound her way down the alleys, glad her beeper had a tracking device. She knew the streets by heart, but it was easy to get lost, especially for the police. Just as she thought this, she realized she had taken a wrong turn and was coming up on a dead end. “Shit” she muttered. Not wanting to be completely cornered, she stopped short and jogged forward shortly after to avoid the pile of men, as they piled on top of each other.
“Uncoordinated as well as stupid, I’ll have no problem kicking you asses,” she scoffed.
“And we’ll have even less kicking yours.” She wasn’t sure which thug it had come from, but she didn’t really care at the moment, she was too busy trying to plan a strategy that didn’t involve fighting. But the alley was completely empty there was nothing around but ugly thugs and concrete walls.
Finally giving in to the fact that she would have to fight, Raisa settled down in a basic fighting stance. She had never really learned any specific type of defense but she had picked a lot up along the way and had developed her own mishmash of techniques. Slipping to the side as the first thug, scarface, charged towards her, she blocked a punch from the second and ducked under the third’s arm, continuing to block and duck, everything a blur of limbs and meaty fists, until one of the thugs managed to make contact, a harsh blow to her stomach. From there on, it was all downhill. She tried getting back into a pattern, but she wasn’t fast enough and the blows kept coming, despite her efforts. But suddenly her strength picked up at the faint sound of sirens and she managed to slip out of the circle they had made around her and headed towards the sound, moving aggravatingly slow as her muscles screamed at her, tired of being beaten on.
After what seemed like forever, Raisa slowly came to a stop, seeing the men in blue in front of her. Waving vaguely behind her, she took the next right, hoping to find the beaten teen.
Making her way to the alley, she found the lump quickly, turning it over to see the wincing face of what looked to be a seventeen year old girl. Her eyes were shut tightly, afraid the thugs had come back.
“They’re gone Sweety, no one’s going to hurt you,” Raisa said gently. “I can help you, but I need to know if you have any family and why you’re out here, then I can get you help if you’re willing to trust me.”
“No family,” she swallowed, licking her lips, “and I’ve lived here for a couple months now.”
“Are you willing to trust me?” The girl nodded painfully. “Okay, on the count of three we’re going to stand up.” Raisa said, slipping her head under the girl’s arm. “One, two, three,” They stood up slowly, Raisa holding most of the girl’s weight, glad she wasn’t much taller than her. Shuffling forward, they made it to the street and Raisa hailed one of the few taxis still out. It wasn’t like New York where it was lively all night everybody was usually in bed by eleven.
“85 on 3rd Avenue,” she told the driver, once settled, glad he was ignoring her mask.
The ride was silent until they arrived at an old blue Victorian house, a rarity in the city. Raisa paid the driver and climbed out, limping to the other side to help the girl out and up the stairs. Knocking on the door, Raisa leaned them both on the wall, wishing Nancy would be faster. Nancy was a nurse at the hospital Raisa frequented whenever she broke a bone or anything of the sort and in most cases, had the pleasure of taking care of her. They had made friends after Raisa’s third visit and learned they ran in, relatively, the same circles after a night of talking when Raisa had a concussion. After thoroughly checking through her past, Raisa began to send the kids she found to her, to get any wounds checked and see how well they did or didn’t adapt and found a home for them from there.
The door finally opened, a tired red-head emerging, rubbing her eyes. “What are you doing here Raisa?” Nancy asked.
“I would’ve come later, but I wasn’t sure she should wait,” Raisa pointed to the barely conscious girl, propped against the wall. “I found a couple of thugs beating on her. She’s been homeless for a couple of months.”
“You poor dear,” Nancy crooned, “Here, come inside and we’ll get you cleaned up.” She picked the girl up, bringing her inside, Raisa rolling her eyes at the odd image.
“I’m afraid I don’t have any room left, after this one,” Nancy gave Raisa an apologetic look, setting the girl down on the couch and getting to work. “Half of the children are doubled up as it is which you know I hate doing.”
“I know,” Raisa said tiredly. “I’ll just have to bring them to John until you clear some out.” Nancy nodded. “But in the mean time, I’ve gotta get home.”
“Bye,” Nancy said absentmindedly, leaning over the girl.
Raisa decided to take a cab to the closest twenty-four hour grocery store after stripping her mask, hoping to finally get some food in her apartment. Stepping out of the cab, she saw silhouette out of the corner of her eye, sneaking indiscreetly out of an alley. Sighing, Raisa walked out of sight of the store’s windows and slipped her mask on.
Walking over to the figure, she waited for it to lift its arm, brick in hand.
“And what do you think you’re doing?” The figure jumped and froze, arm in midair, aimed at a bookstore window.
Slowly, the figure lowered its arm and turned around, shock evident on his face. “Crap.” he muttered.
“And what exactly is so crappy about me being here?” Raisa asked sarcastically.
“Well you’re gonna turn me in aren’t you?” his voice was remorseful as he leaned towards her figure hidden by the shadows of the store wall.
“I’m not sure yet. I’m rather curious as to who steals from a book store, next to a twenty-four hour store? You could either be really stupid, really smart, or really desperate and by the way you’re holding that brick, I’m guessing desperate.”
“How…”
“I’m not new at this kid,” at this, Raisa stepped forward, out of the shadows.
“But you’re Black Rose,” his brow was furrowed.
“Thanks for that update, I never realized” she dead-panned. “So, now that that’s out of the way, why are you so desperate?”
“Who said I was desperate?” his voice was defensive. “Who said I’m not just bored?”
“The tone of your voice. You’re nervous, scared and desperate, so mind telling me why?”
“And why should I tell you? What are you gonna do for me?”
“Well Captain Obvious, as you so nicely pointed out, I’m Black Rose. Help the good, lock up the bad. Ya know, a modern day Robin Hood and Bat Man, all in one, the only difference being that I’m a girl and I don’t have any fancy gadgets.”
“But that doesn’t mean you’re going to help me. I’m not some hotshot being hunted by the mafia and I’m not a big-time thief, so what the hell do you want with me?”
“Okay look kid,” she was getting impatient, “I don’t only help dumbass big-shots who decide to take a walk on the wild side, that’s just what gets broadcasted, kind of a deal I have so I’m not arrested. Now ya wanna tell me what the fuck is wrong so I can go to bed some time in the next few days? I just got my ass beaten and sleep sounds like heaven right about now”
“Well at this point it just sounds like an obligation, so no, I’m not going to tell you ‘what the fuck is wrong.’”
“Fine, ya know what? I don’t wanna deal with this and if you don’t want my help then woopdy-doo for you, I need my sleep, so goodnight.” Spinning on her heal, Raisa turned and started walking away, doing her best not to limp.
“Wait!” the boy called, only seconds later.
“What?” she stopped, her back still to him.
“My parents died, and we’re out on the streets, we didn’t want to go into the system because we’ll be separated and I’m running out of money, I already dropped out of school to get a job, but it’s hard to find one that pays.” He said, all in one breath.
“Fine, three questions: one; name, two; age and three; who is “we”” she said, turning to face him.
“Jacob Smith, boring name, I know, I’m 15 and it’s my sister and I; she’s seven and her name’s Karra.”
“Well show me where she is and then follow me.”
“Wait so that means you’re gonna help?” Jacob was shocked.
“Yup, although you’ll have to stay with me for the night and one of friends for about a month, but after that, you get a new happy home together, school and all.” Hearing this, a grin spread over Jacob’s face and he lunged forward, hugging her tightly. Raisa’s face twisted in pain as he squished her bruised ribs and she pealed him off quickly.
“Just show me where she is so we can all get some sleep.” He was still grinning when he turned and started walking, Raisa trailing behind slowly.
Five minutes later, they arrived at the local park, a rather ratty field with a couple trees, a slide and swings at the end. Walking up to the largest tree at the edge of the field, Jacob knocked on the trunk three times.
A few seconds later, a small voice called down. “Jacob, I’m hungry.”
“I know sweetie, but I found someone who can help us, why don’t you come dow- oooph” small blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl landed in Jacob’s arms. “Jeez Kay, you’re getting too old for that.” Jacob said, setting her down.
“Is she going to help us?” she cocked her head to the side, giving Raisa a curious and hopeful look.
“Yes she is, we’ll have a new home and be able to go to school again.”
“Come on, follow me.” Raisa said, hoping to get to sleep before three.
“Can you carry me?” the small voice was directed at Raisa. “I’m sleepy”
“Sure,” Raisa was beyond sore and just as tired, but Karra’s pleading look caused her maternal instincts to kick in full force.
Raisa talked to Karra, while leading Jacob around corners and through the safer alleyways, finally reaching an apartment building. The gray paint was chipping and the door had some dents in it, but it was almost a palace compared to the rest of the dilapidated buildings surrounding it.
“Okay, Jacob.”
“-Jake”
“Jake, just make sure you stay close, and don’t talk to anyone unless I say it’s okay.” Raisa opened the door and headed up the stairs to the right. Three flights later, she was getting dizzy and breathing heavily, glad to turn off down the hallway. Stopping about halfway down, she knocked on the door loudly, leaning against the wall.
A minute later, opened the door, half asleep. “Holy Hell Emily, I thought I told you to stop- Ray? What the hell are you doing here?”
Raisa did nothing but groan and hand a now sleeping Karra to Jeremy and shove her way past him.
Jeremy’s apartment had four rooms; a bedroom, bathroom, kitchenette/living room and the game/guest/storage room. All of the walls were painted a light blue and the carpet was a rather ugly mottled brown, as Jeremy hadn’t bothered replacing it yet. He had no choice in repainting the walls, they were bright yellow, but had been stained brown from the cigarette smoke from the previous owners.
Heading straight to his couch, she first sat and then laid down gingerly, closing her eyes, in complete bliss as her muscles relaxed.
“Raisa.” She groaned. “What are you doing here? With kids nonetheless.”
“Nancy’s full and you were closest,” she rolled over trying to get comfortable.
Having mercy on her, Jeremy brought Karra and Jake into his room and got them settled for the night before pulling of her mask and tucking her in, heading to bed in the guest room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello inexistent readers!
i apologise for the excrutiatingly long chapter, but i couldn't find anywhere to split it...
criticism is appreciated, i really would like to improve my writing :D