The Ship

The Ship

I sighed with exasperation as my mum insisted on speaking to my sister about beauty products. The shittest, most annoying “rave/hardcore” (as my friend at home called it) crap blared from a digital jukebox at the entrance of the pub. The barmaids/Twat Tag Team (so named by my sister and I for their terrible taste in music) who had put it on were now serving the many customers in the crowded, noisy room. At this moment I was being overwhelmed with boredom, heat, noise and I was desperate to get out.

I picked up my coke and slowly, carefully stood up. I quickly slipped out of the front door. My mum and sister didn’t even realise I was gone. I sat in the shadowed area of a bench and leant against the wall, breathing in the cool night air. I let out a sigh. I loved the smell of the country. When I closed my eyes I could just hear the sound of the sea over the loud music and talking from the pub behind me.

I suddenly felt as if I was being watched. I opened my eyes and found there was a man sitting beside me. I could only see his outline because it was so dark but he was definitely attractive. Very attractive.

‘Nice feathers,’ he said, glancing at the blue feather in my hair.

‘Thanks,’ I said, turning away from him and taking a sip of my coke. He, however, didn’t look away.

‘Are you alone?’ he asked suddenly.

‘No,’ I said as I shifted in my seat. He was really starting to make me feel uncomfortable. I took another nervous sip from my glass.

He moved slightly closer to me. ‘You’re not drinking,’ he noted. ‘Why not?’

‘I’m too young,’ I replied, putting emphasise on the word “young”.

‘Too young?’ he sounded a little confused. Then worried, ‘Wait. How old are you?’

‘Fifteen.’

‘Oh shit!’ he scooted away from me as if he’s been burnt. ‘Shit, I’m so sorry. I thought you were older.’

I smiled. ‘Its okay,’ I said.

‘Honestly, I thought you were a lot older than that.’ He looked away and muttered disbelievingly, ‘Fifteen…’

I laughed. ‘How old are you?’

‘Twenty-eight.’

‘Wow, that’s some age gap.’

‘Yeah, it is. I’m really sorry about coming on to you.’

‘Its fine,’ I assured him. ‘You weren’t to know I was underage.’ I faintly saw him smile gratefully. We sat in silence, sipping our drinks.

‘So, do you have any pets?’ he asked randomly.

‘No, but I would love to have some. I love animals.’

‘Me too,’ he agreed.

‘Do you have any?’

‘Yeah. I have a dog named Biscuit and two cats called Gus and Phoebe. They’re brother and sister.’

‘Awesome.’ There was a short pause before I asked, ‘Are you here alone?’

‘For now, yeah. My band told me they’d be coming here sometime tonight so I’m waiting for them. I lost them a while ago.’

‘Oh, you’re in a band?’ I asked, interested.

‘Yep!’

‘Cool, what do you play?’

‘Guitar and lead vocals.’

‘Wow, so what kind of music do you play?’ I asked. I didn’t think he meant me any harm anymore and even though we were alone outside I felt completely comfortable with him.

‘Its kind of thrash metal but some people call us emo. I hate that but what can you do?’

‘Sounds like my kind of music,’ I said, nodding approvingly. ‘Not the emo bit, I hate emo, but the thrash metal bit.’ I laughed and pushed my hair away from my shoulder.

‘Oh!’ he said suddenly.

I raised an eyebrow. ‘ “Oh” what?’

‘Nothing,’ he said quickly. I gave him a weird look but didn’t say anything.

‘I think you may know of me,’ he said.

‘Really? Why do you say that?’ I saw the shine of his teeth as he smiled then slowly leant towards me and into the light. When I saw his face I gasped loudly and stood up so fast that I ended up falling backwards and landing on my bum. Luckily I had already put my drink down on the bench.

‘Sorry, I just had to,’ he laughed, standing up and coming over to help me to my feet. ‘I saw our logo on your hoody and I wanted to see your reaction.’ He offered me his hand but I couldn’t take it, I was still too busy sitting on the ground starring at him in shock.

Finally I managed to say, ‘Y-you’re Matt Tuck.’

He laughed again. He bent to grab my hand and pulled me to my feet. Still I stood there in front of him, starring at him in amazement.

‘There you are, Tuck! We thought we’d lost you!’

I turned quickly to see three other men enter the seating area just outside the pub. Moose had been the one who had spoken, Jay and Padge walked on either side of him.

‘Hello!’ Jay said to me, brightly.

‘Lets go in, I’m desperate for a drink,’ said Padge, making for the door, Jay and Moose following close behind.

‘Would you like to join us for a couple of drinks?’ Matt asked me, still smiling. I was still in such a state of shock at meeting him all I could do was nod. Matt’s smile widened as he took my hand again and led me inside the pub named The Ship.

© Amber Williams 2008
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a random story I wrote on holiday last year.

I was considering doing more with it...tell me if you think I should!

Comment please :)
A xxx