Welcome to the Dark Carnival

Things Aren't As They Appear

"Monoxide, have you noticed anything weird lately about J and Hannah?" I asked. "Other then the fact that they avoid each other like one of them has the plague, not really" he said, lighting up a cigarette. "Actually it's just J that tries to avoid her. Hannah's always trying to get his attention" said Rob as he walked into the room. "Shaggy, where's J?" asked Monoxide. "writing new material for the Ringmaster album" I said, taking a sip of Faygo. Hannah walked into the room looking as if she were looking for something. "Hannah, what is it?" asked Rob. "Where's J?" she asked. "Probably in the writing room. Why?" Monoxide said. "Just wondering" she said as she sat down on the floor. Hooch ran up to her and she smiled as she pet the dog. It was great to see her try to find some normality after the tragic events she's had to suffer through.

"Hannah, next week we're going to go take you shopping for clothes" I told her. "Shaggy, please. You don't need to spend your money on me-" she started before I threw Faygo at her. "Shut up, we're taking you anyway" I said, smiling at her. "Fine" she said, sticking her tongue out. "Say, has anyone seen Jamie anywhere? He wasn't here yesterday, and he's not here today. Usually it's not hard to find that fat kid" said Hannah. I chuckled and ruffled her hair. "why you miss him?" I asked. Hannah's cheek's flushed a vibrant red and I smirked. "You do" I said. Monoxide looked at us in amusement. "I should tell him" said Monoxide. "Oh great then he'll never leave me alone!" said Hannah, running her hand through her hair. "True, so I'll be nice and not tell him" said Monoxide. "Thank you" she said.

J walked into the room and stared at Hannah. She was oblivious to his presence, and it seemed like he planned on it that way. Well, at least until Madrox just happened to walk into the room. "Yo what's up J?" he said loudly. I just groaned when I saw Hannah jump up and look at J. Madrox looked between the two and hugged Hannah. "How's my favorite girl?" asked Madrox, looking down at her. It was amusing to see Hannah next to Madrox, as she was a good foot shorter then him. It was like a giant standing next to a damn midget. "Well, when I see her, I'll make sure to ask" said Hannah as she got out of his grasp. Monoxide laughed at her comeback and I saw sadness flash behind Madrox's eyes before he smiled to cover it up. "Now if you guys don't mind, I will take my leave" she said before running off.

"I'm guessing shit between her and J haven't smoothed over?" asked Madrox. "No shit, what gave it away?" asked a very snippy J. Rob shook his head and went out of the room. "She jumped when she heard your name" said Madrox. 'He really can be an idiot sometimes' I thought as I left the room. J and Madrox's voice echoed through the hallway I walked through. "Man, why are you so angry?" asked Madrox. "You were practically hitting on her!" snapped J. "So? what's the big deal? It isn't like you are interested in her" Madrox said cooly. I groaned as I knocked on Hannah's door. "come in" she said.

"Hey" I said. Hannah didn't look up from her writing. "what are you writing?" I asked. " A poem" she said, still not looking up. "May I see when you are done?" I asked. She nodded and I sat down on her bed. Hours passed before she finally handed me her journal. "Just read the poem, nothing else please" she said softly. I nodded and began to read.

Down to you, you're pushing and pulling me down to you
But I don't know what I want
And when I caught myself, I had to stop myself
From saying something I should have never thought
You're just like a pill
Instead of making me better, you just keep making me ill
I'm kicking and screaming at the world around me
Who said that I wasn't right?
And I lived for years without a life
Don't have a soul on my side
Still ridiculed despite how hard I tried
Don't take me under your wing
I don't need a hand, don't need anything
I've got a roof over my head, as if I'd rather be alone with me instead
Close yet far, drop me a line to tell me how the hell you are
Tip my hat to those who can't believe it's me,
Though I never, ever, ever wanted this to be
I can hear the sounds of the city
Sunrise and sunset are the same to me
A hesitating pulse is good company
My reflection offers no apology


I looked up and saw Hannah asleep. Closing her journal, I placed it beside her and kissed her forhead before leaving. 'She's hurting because of J's actions. Madrox isn't making it any better by hitting on her. She hates the fact that they are fighting' I thought as I walked back into the room. Madrox and J were still going at it and it was driving me crazy. "Yo would you two shut the hell up?!" I said before sitting down. "Where the hell did you disappear to?" snapped J. "Hannah's room" I said. The mention of her calmed the two raging beasts in front of me. "How is she?" asked Madrox. "Hurting. Both of your actions are taking a toll on her. I can only imagine that this is making her think her new "family" is falling apart at the seams" I said. "She's blaming herself?" asked J, not wanting to believe it. I nodded and the two sat down. "Madrox, lay off the flirting for a bit. Let her get her feet back on solid ground. She's still mourning the loss of her mother and is still mending her broken and beaten heart. She's been through so much that she's going to need some time" said Rob as he walked back into the room. "How is it you and Shaggy are the closest to her?" asked Monoxide.

"We're the ones that are around her enough to tell that even though she's got this happy facade going on, her heart is broken and her emotions are in turmoil" said Rob. Monoxide nodded, his eyes showing his sorrow for not realizing sooner. "the sooner you and Madrox stop this fighting, the sooner she'll be able to fix her life" I said. "We're all she's got now, you know that" said Rob. "I feel like a jerk" said Madrox. "Not anymore then I do" said J. It seemed like the two had realized the weight of their actions...for now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hannah's poem was created from lines of songs I listened to while writing this. MMFWCL! Please comment and subscribe