Tell Your Heart to Wait a Little Longer

Lost In This Moment With You

A few hours and seven stitches later, Jamie was released with instructions to take it easy for at least two days and that the stitches would eventually dissolve by themselves.

“Derek, you really don’t have to carry me,” Jamie said convincing him to let her get out of the car on her own.
“I know you can, but I won’t let you,” He said picking her up and bringing her inside.

“You don’t have to do this you know,” She said and he laid her down on the couch.
“Yes I do,” he reassured.
“You can go home and leave me and my stitches here and go laugh at me,” She said.
“But I don’t want to,” He said leaning down to kiss her forehead. She wrinkled her nose and he laughed at her. Then Derek walked off into the kitchen.

Jamie rolled over on her side and reached for the remote, turning on the TV.

“And we’ll be right back with our number five video on the love song count down!” The guy on the tv announced. Jamie ignored the weird commercials about Viagra and how to burn fat faster and what not. Why were TV’s always playing such lame commercials?

“Hey! You’re watching the love song count down here on Vh1! This is Edwin McCain with ‘I’ll Be’” The same guy announce again.

“Here,” Derek said bringing her a glass.
“It’s not wine is it?” Jamie asked cautiously, sitting up.
“No, it’s kool aid,” He said taking a sip, “No way am I letting you drink with a hole in your head.”
“I hate you,” She said before doing the same.

Derek watched the way she swayed on the couch. At first, he thought it was from the stitches, but then realized it was from the music. She was still in her dress, but now lacking the heels, and he was still dressed up as well.

He took another sip of his kool aid before setting it down on the side table next to the couch.

“May I have this dance?” He asked, holding out his arm for her. Jamie took another sip and giggled.
“Of course,” She said standing up.

He led her in front of the coffee table and pushed it back against the couch a little bit. Jamie let her arms drape over his neck while he held her in his arms.

“I should’ve taken you to prom,” Jamie said staring at Derek’s incredible eyes. He just smiled and they continued dancing.

Both of them swayed and turned with the music. He even took a chance and dipped her once. The whole time there was a huge smile on her face.

“You know, maybe this is the best first date I’ve had in a while,” She said while the music began to slow down towards the ending.

“I should have asked you out sooner,” He said pulling her closer.
“You should have,” She said with a smirk and a raised eyebrow.
“You were always with Mark though,” he sighed.
“But I’m not now,” She pointed out.
“Yeah.”
“And you’re dancing with me, in my living room, with me in a dress,” She smiled.
“Okay so I guess that’s the only good thing.”

Jamie stood up on her tip toes and put her lips on his. It was soft, but it meant everything.

“And maybe that,” He smiled.
“It’s not too late to chase your dreams,” She whispered.

Just as Derek was going to ask her something, her phone began ringing.

“Damnit,” Jamie huffed. Derek let go of her and Jamie dug into her clutch to retrieve her phone.

‘I swear I didn’t mean to do it! It just popped!’ Elly texted.

“Oh Elly, what’d you do now?” Jamie asked out loud while replying to her text. When Derek heard Elly’s name, a disappointed look grew on his face.

‘Come help me fix it!!’ Elly texted again. Jamie looked up from her phone to find Derek slumped over on the couch.

“I just have to go check on her. I told her mom I would,” Jamie said with a sympathetic face.
“Go,” He said. Jamie grabbed her slip-on converse.