Tell Your Heart to Wait a Little Longer

Run Baby Run

“Jamie,” He whispered softly. She rolled over and opened her eyes slowly.
“Hmm?” She said groggily.
“Do you want to go home, I’ll take you if you want,” He offered.
“Your couch is comfy,” She mumbled.
He chuckled to himself, “Alright, well if you’re going to stay, you might want to change,” He said helping her up off the couch. He led her upstairs and brought her into his room, handing her some clothes and allowing her to change in his bathroom.

“Making me promote your band?” She said after opening the bathroom door. He tilted his head to the side and looked at her.

“But you look great in our shirt!” He teased.
“Shut up,” She said and walked over to his bed.
“I’ll go downstairs if you want,” He said walking towards the door.
“You don’t have to. Just don’t try to shove it in me,” She said crawling into his bed.
“Can’t promise,” He said with a devilish grin and crawled in next to her.
“Derek …..” She spoke firmly.
“I’m kidding Jamie, just go to sleep,” He said letting the blanket fall over them.
“But it’s already three thirty!” She exclaimed.
“Exactly,” He said and she rolled over on her side.

“Good morning,” Derek said noticing Jamie standing in the door way, squinting at the brightness of the light.

“Why are you up so goddamn early?” She said stumbling over to the table.
“It’s almost noon,” He said sliding a grilled cheese sandwich on a place
“Fuck,” She mumbled.

“What?” He said handing her a plate.
“I’ve never slept past eight,” She said picking up half the sandwhich in her hand, “And I have lunch with my mother today.”
“Your mother?”
“Yeah,” She said taking a bite.
“I’ll take you home, you can leave your car here,” He offered.
“No, it’s alright. It would look weird if I didn’t show up with my car anyway,” She said.
“Because you’d get side tracked with me,” He mumbled under his breath with a smirk.
“Excuse me?”
“Nothing,” He said eating.
“No, what did you say?”
“Just eat Jamie,” He said avoiding what he said.
“No, what did you say?” She demanded.
“Don’t worry about it,” He said shoving the last bit in his mouth as she did the same.
“Well at least I don’t promote my own band,” She said and ran upstairs to retrieve her clothes.
“Jamie! You get back here!” He yelled and chased her.

“I’m so scared!” She said sarcastically.
“You should be,” He said pinning her to the wall.
A lump grew in her throat but she swallowed it quickly, “And what are you gonna do?”
“You’ll see,” He said with a smile spreading across his face. She ducked out from under his arms and ran into the bathroom with her clothes, locking the door behind her.

“Damn you Jamie!” He shouted from the other side.
“Ha ha!” She said sliding on her jeans.

“Okay, I seriously have to go so I can change before I have to be there,” She said unlocking the door.
“Can I come ‘accidently’ meet you there?” He asked using air quotes.
“Don’t you have more demos to record?” She asked.
“Yeah, but those can wait,” He said sitting on the edge of the bed and looking at her.
“You know they can’t, but maybe tomorrow. Once I leave there who knows what I’ll be driven to do,” She said reaching for her hoodie.
“Yeah,” He huffed.
“I’m sorry,” She said and pecked his cheek.

“You’re going to be late,” He said.
“Shit, right,” She said and ran down stairs.

He stood in the doorway and watched her back out of the drive way. She turned up the volume on the radio and ‘Situations’ by Escape The Fate came pouring out. Her tires nearly squealed as she drove away and for some unexplained reason, Derek felt heart broken again. Maybe it was because he still had feelings for Jamie, but how could he when he had broken her before.

This was the first time in months that he had felt this way, and he liked it.