I'll Tell You My Story, If You Promise Not to Tell

Recess

"I don't see why you'd rather stay inside" Mr. J said.

"That way nobody will be nosy and try to read." Jenna persisted.

"Fine".

After lunch, she scrambled to the nearly vacant classroom. Mr. J was perched at his desk.
Jenna's heart ached to see pictures of him and his family.

She sat at her creeky desk and pulled out some yellow paper and a pointed pencil.

Mr J's POV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Its rare for me to see a student eager to stay indoors for recess. I look at her, concentrating very hard on her paper.

Last night, I looked upon the faces of my children. It made me wonder how anyone could hurt their child.

Jenna's POV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I sat thinking where to begin. I guess the beginning would be a good place to begin.

"I dont remember everything that took place early on. I think my earliest memory is my mom. She was always so nice and no one ever saw her angry... I remember her warm smile every day... At the time we were a happy family.
It isnt easy for me to tell you what happened to her. Its not that I dread the memory, although maybe I would. I can't really remember. I only remember being a young child, seeing her every day but then she disappeared. Its like I have memories of her, the suddenly she isn't in any- its like she just vanished. I dont remember a goodbye, or anything. All I know for sure is that that's when my dad started drinking. I want to know what happened to her but you'll soon know why I'm too afraid.
At first, It was few beers and that was the end. But it grew, like a horrible monster. It started as-"

"Hey!" my math teacher said cheerfully. "what could miss jenna do to have to stay in?" I was known for being well-behaved out of habit.
Mr. J made something up, and they chatted then she left.
As I was saying...

"It started as a slap here or there but like his alchoholism, it grew to a monster.
I remember being a six year old and..."

And of course the bell rang...

****The next day****

Jenna's POV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Like yesterday, I walked back to the classroom when I got dismissed for recess.
I pulled out the small part of my story, with a sticky note attached.

"Jenna,
Good beginning; I wont be here for recess today, go to Ms. Petrillo's room"

I glided into the room. Ms. Petrillo looked up and motioned to a table to her left.
I sat and began to write. I erased the last sentence from yesterday.