I'll Tell You My Story, If You Promise Not to Tell

Mr. J's reaction.

Jenna sat in class, paying attention as well as possible.

Mr. J's POV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When Jenna handed me the notebook today, I expected the usual but it was different.

January 4, 2007

Last night my dad completely lost it.
He hit me in the face so hard I fell from my chair. Then he stood kicking me in the ribs and stomach until I threw up a little. I Curled into a ball and he began kicking my shins.
After that he slapped me, thankfully not on the wounded side of my face.
It still was extremely painful.
I went to the bathroom and saw my bloody, torn cheek and a huge bruise.
Just so you know I'm wearing makeup to cover it. It wasn't swollen today, at least. Yesterday I couldn't open my eye.
Jenna

I sat dumbfounded after reading it. How could anyone do that?
I didn't realize how loud my class got.
"Settle down!" I called, beginning a lesson.

Jenna's POV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr. J called me to his desk and asked me if I could stay after. I nodded.
"Anything to avoid going home," I whispered.
He nodded.
I went back to my seat and started the assignment.

By the time school was over, I felt ready to pass out.
I came back into the classroom after I got my backpack.
Mr. J looked up.

"Do you have your makeup for your eye with you?" he asked

I nodded and pulled it out.

"Take off the makeup you have on now."

I walked to the bathroom to take it off. I walked back to class with my hair falling in front of my eyes.

When I made it to the room, I pulled it back.

I sat down and he said a moment later. "May I look at it?"

I nodded again. He leaned in and turned my face a little. He touched the skin nearly the huge bruise. I winced in pain. "Sorry..." He muttered, squinting. "this was from one punch?"

"Yes" I said. His expression stated "wow" for him. We were silent for a while. ''L-last night I looked in my closet and found stuff."

"What?''

"Pictures, mostly, and a note." He looked at me questioningly. "From my mom." I continued quietly. I handed him the note, and he read it.

"I'm so sorry," Shaking his head, he handed me the note.

"I was wondering if you could do me a small favor.."

"What?"

"I found pictures and stuff, if my dad knows I have them he'd kill me or close to it. Can you keep them and the note for me for the rest of the year." i said slowely.

"Yeah, I can do that."

I took out my math book and slid the hidden photos from the pages, placing them on the table.
Then my math binder and english folder, they were in a small stack.

I handed him the pile and I read "A Child Called It" until the late-bell rang.
Its amazing that someone could be so twisted as his mother. My life is nothing to his.
She wanted him to lay on the stove, plus the ammonia torture and everything.
I walked home feeling emotionless.