Love Like Cyanide

Life Is Good

I can't remember ever being this happy in my life. Every thing was nearly perfect. The days passed smoothly and before I knew it, two weeks were already behind us. I was barely conscious that Kathryn was only supposed to be gone for a week. As far as anyone's concern, I didn't care when or if she came back.

It was the middle of summer, and yet we were getting an awful lot of rain. I liked that. It wasn't fog, but it was still nice. It wasn't the kind of cold rain, but the wonderful kind of rain. The rain that brought rainbows with it in the aftermath.

I wore a baggy shirt and jeans with my hair in a untidy bun (I didn't bother getting dressed up when I woke up) as I lied on the ground in the backyard next to the pool. My squinted eyes were looking up at the bright gray sky and the liquid crystal drops coming down on my face. I laughed instead of complaining when one would fall in my eye.

I noticed with delight that my outlook on life was much brighter and happier. It was all because of Derrik.

I sighed. Ahh, Derrik.

As if he was reading my thoughts, I felt a certain someone walk around and come to lay down next to me. I smiled as I turned my head to look at him.

"It's wet," Derrik said.

"Yep."

"Sure you don't want an umbrella?"

"Mhm. I'm sure."

We just lied there for a bit in silence, getting soaked. I was still facing upward on my back as Derrik was on his side, looking at me. Occasionally he would reach a hand over to caress my cheek and wipe the drops of water away. It felt nice. Too nice maybe. Hmm.

"Derrik," I said, moving to my side so I could face him."

"Yes?" he said softly.

"When I leave...You'll try to talk Kathryn into letting me visit more often, won't you?"

His smile faltered and his eyes were sad. "I don't know. It's...complicated. I can't ever talk to her."

"Awkward?" I guessed.

"Quite."

I looked away, glad that it was raining so he couldn't see the tears slowly falling from my eyes. "I don't want to leave...to go back with her. It's so nice here. I-I...I'll run away if she doesn't let me see you again."

He was close enough that he could wrap an arm around my waist as a comfort gesture. "Don't worry about it now. So far, life is good..."

"For now," I said quietly.

He didn't reply.

The clouds started to move out of the sun's way, and I gasped silently in awe as two rainbows streaked across the sky.

A sign of hope.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, and a little side note to all my subscribers that read my little note thingy last time I "posted" in this story:
This IS NOT the chapter that I lost and couldn't find on my computer. This chapter is completely different. And as far as the real chapter goes, it is g-o-n-e GONE. Which makes me very sad and pissy.