Love Like Cyanide

A Jolt Of Painful Panic

I was walking down Derrik's dark hallway, making sure to be exceptionally quiet as the wooden floor under my bare feet was creaking like crazy. It was very cold. I rubbed my hands against my arms to create friction so I'd be warm. It was so cold I could see my breath.

Then I realized why it was so cold. I was really outside on the veranda. That's strange. Derrik didn't have a veranda part of his house. I would have known if he did.

Suddenly I heard a sharp, piercing cry. I spun around quickly. All I saw was a candle on the ground. I walked over and bent down to pick it up. In the light of the flame I saw another face. It was the face of a small girl with wide, frightened wet eyes. Tears were pouring down her cheeks.

Cautiously I got closer. I tried to calm her by repeating, "Shh, everything's alright. What happened? Are you hurt? It'll be alright." I took the candle and used it as a light so I could see more of the girl. She had long black hair that was in a loose braid. She was dressed in a simple white dress that looked like it was a nightgown. Her skin was so pale; it was disgustingly chalky white.

She held herself in a feeble position, shaking violently. I reached out as if to help her but instead she flinched and quickly scampered into the corner. That's when I noticed the blood on her. Her arms looked bruised while her white nightgown was covered in red around her chest. She opened her mouth like she was about to say something but instead of words, it was blood that escaped her mouth.

I couldn't even find my voice to scream, so I was surprised when I found myself shrieking, "Who did this to you?"

Her eyes flickered to something behind me. Slowly I turned to whatever her gaze had locked on.

Nothing. All I saw was black darkness. When I turned back to the girl, she was gone.

"They're waiting for me," a high pitched voice said and I jumped.

I turned to the sound and saw that the girl was now on the edge of the veranda, toes dangling over the edge.

"Who?" I asked. "Who's waiting for you?"

"The angels," she answered simply and put her arms out. She was going to jump.

"No." I only managed a frantic whisper.

And then she fell, her body limp in the air and she went down.

"NO!" I screamed and jumped off the edge after her.

Cyanide...Cyanide...

It seemed like I was in the air for too long.

Wake up, Cyanide!

Was the ground never going to catch up with me? Or maybe I already hit it, I was just in the after shock.

Then I felt something grab me. They were yanking at me. No! I didn't want to die yet!

"Cyanide, wake up! Come on!" Derrik's voice broke through the unconsciousness and I awoken covered in sweat and breathing hard. Derrik's hands were light tourniquets around my wrists. He was hovering over me with a nervous and concerned expression.

It was just a dream.

"Are you okay?" he asked, shocked.

"Um...yes." It sounded like a question.

"You were screaming and thrashing when I came in to wake you."

Well that wasn't such a surprise. Whenever I had a nightmare I would flail my limbs everywhere. But I only know because I was once sleeping over at Mark's house. He told me that I was beating him up in the middle of the night (he said this with a scratch on his cheek). I wasn't oblivious either to the fact that I also talked (or in this case screamed) in my sleep. I recall Kathryn once having to wake me up and tell me to keep quiet.

I smiled sheepishly. "Did I...hit you?"

"Almost." But he laughed a little.

"Sorry. It was a...disturbing dream."

"Would a smoothie make it all better?" His tone was teasing.

"Smoothies for breakfast?" I asked.

He got off my bed and started walking towards the door. "Technically lunch. It's one in the afternoon."

Wow. I slept for more than twelve hours. Sheesh.

Down in the kitchen Derrik was throwing fruit, yogurt, and ice into a blender. The smell of fresh fruit was delicious. It probably would taste even better. But of course, everything Derrik made did. I also couldn't help but notice the expression on his face. It looked...worried?

As he held down the button on the blender to make it turn on I asked, "What's wrong?" He didn't hear me over the loud chopping and grinding noise though.

"Hm?" he asked when he lifted his finger off the button and turned to pour some of the pink liquid into the glass in front of me.

I knew that when I asked again he'd probably say something that would worry me and I didn't want it to ruin the smoothie. So I took a sip first. It was extremely cold from the ice; I got a brain freeze.

Holding my head and grimacing I asked, "So what's wrong?"

"Nothing gets past you, eh?" he muttered then said louder, "Kathryn called. I told her that I'd have you call her back..."

"Oh," was all I said aloud while my mind screamed, NO! I don't want to leave! I'm actually happy here!

"Yeah."

I sighed heavily. "What are we going to do?"

He smiled at me. "I've got some ideas."
♠ ♠ ♠
The dream Cyanide had was actually quite random. To tell you the truth, there really wasn't a reason concerning the plot why I put it in there. The reason I'm using is that I thought that the story was too light and happy (which isn't what I wanted for the whole story). So I incorporated some darkness into it for my own benefit.

Hope you liked it and accept my apology 'cause I know that some of you were confused with this chapter and thought the dream was weird.

(Comments are motivating. *wink wink*)