Love Like Cyanide

Satan Would Be Friendlier Than Her

My hand hesitated above the buttons of the phone. Could I call her and then just use the classic method of pretending that I was breaking up and couldn't here her? No. She wasn't that stupid. Well, might as well get it over now. I sighed and dialed Kathryn's cell phone number that she was probably calling from.

I cringed when she answered in her monotone voice. I'd rather just talk to her answering machine. "Hello?"

"Hi..."

"Cyanide?"

"Who else would it be?" I muttered a bit acidly, mostly to myself, but I was sure she probably heard.

She ignored the commented though. "I'll be picking you up tomorrow afternoon."

Pain coursed through me then. I didn't want to leave! It felt as if I've only been here for a couple days, not weeks. "Oh. Um...are you sure? You can't...extend your vacation?"

Her voice was like a whip. "What are you talking about? I have be at work tomorrow evening! Like it is I was already gone for longer than planned."

I didn't say anything.

"Why on earth would you want to stay longer at his house?" She said his house like it was a swear word.

"I don't know."

"Well apparently you do."

"I just...I kind of like it here. Derrik's really nice. And a good cook." I turned to smile at him. He looked at me from where he sat at the table but didn't smile back. His face was expressionless.

Kathryn didn't answer for what seemed like forever. Finally she said, "No. You're coming home and that's that."

She always brought out the worst in me. Anger burned beneath my skin. "I am home, Kathryn."

Again, there was a late response. "In that case, you're coming with me back to my home."

"But..."

"No buts. I'll see you tomorrow." And she hung up.

"Bitch," I said as I put the phone down.
♠ ♠ ♠
To all my subscribers:
Make sure you read the last chapter again! I finished it! It'll make this one seem non-confusing. I know that probably most of you have, but you can never be to careful, eh?

To everyone else:
COMMENT. I want to hear what you think. It's more important to me than you think. Feed back would also be good.