Love Like Cyanide

The Demon Named Derrik

The ride in the care was completely silent like it usually was. I sighed and continued to look out the window onto the field which was currently blanketed with fog. It was my favorite kind of weather. Sunny days were to bright and happy. It sickened me. And I hated the wetness rainy days brought. The fog matched my overall outlook on life. The earth's surface was hiding behind a thick layer of cloud. Like how every single person on this planet was hiding behind a mask.

I'm not usually a morbid girl. My personality was just very...down I guess you could say.

"We're almost there," Kathryn said to me in a dead tone. Now there are a couple things to know about my mother. First off, I call her by her first name, not mom or mother or whatever. The only reason people call their parents by "mom" and "dad" is to show respect. But seeing how I had none of that for Kathryn...Oh well.

She also gave birth to me when she was seventeen. So seeing that I'm sixteen, she was now thirty-three.

"Why are we visiting him again?" I asked in an annoyed voice. It wasn't really a question of curiosity. It was more of a complaint.

I've only seen him once or twice when I was little but that was enough to convince me he was a lifeless, selfish, low life, loser. I hated myself for looking so much like him. Same black hair, same light brown eyes. They were his eyes that Kathryn avoided whenever talking directly to me.

"I already told you. Don't make me tell you again," she snapped at me.

Not my fault I have selective hearing, I almost said to her. Truth is I did hear her unfortunately. She was going on a short vacation; a week or two at the most. She didn't want me screwing up her house so she actually had the nerve to drive me to my dad's house so he could "watch over me."

It's like she didn't trust me. Not like I was on drugs or had friends that would pressure me into throwing a party where I would have sex and get pregnant. Please. I had enough sense to know the effects of drugs had on the human body. And I definitely didn't have enough friends to have a party with. In fact, the only friends (or I really should say friend) I have is my neighbor Mark. He was of course one of the juvenile delinquents that liked my name.

The car came to a slow then a full stop. I looked out the window at a dark blue house. It wasn't a really crappy looking house, not at all. It surprised me how nice it actually was. The lawn was big and green. There were many trees in the yard, some with flowers, some with fruit.

I groaned and opened the door so I could lug my bag to the front door with Kathryn following by my side. She knocked impatiently on the door as her expression got as hare as stone.

The door opened, revealing a young looking man with shaggy black hair that almost completely covered his brown eyes. I was kind of shocked when I saw him. Either I forgot what he looked like from the last time I saw him many years ago or he changed that much. He was kind of good looking in a way, I decided.

And then he spoke and canceled out any positive thoughts I had for him. "Oh, it's you," the demon said to Kathryn. He had a rough voice that suggested that he smoked. As if confirming my observation, he put his hand to his mouth so he could cough loudly. His whole body shuddered when he did so.

Kathryn sneered. "Of course it's me. I called earlier and besides, who else were you expecting? Now, you know she's your responsibility too. I won't be gone that long. A week or so." She pushed me forward a bit.

"Derrik," I said, nodding my head.

"Hello, Cyanide," he said in a very dull voice that didn't sound that friendly.

Kathryn turned to me and for once really looked at me. She put a hand on my shoulder and said, "I'll be back to pick you up before long. Try to stay out of trouble." Before she turned to leave I thought I saw a bit of the mother I always wished for in her eyes. It made me think that she cared somewhat for me. I blinked back against tears.

I watched her drive away in her white Corolla. Reluctantly, I faced Derrik and he stood back so I could enter his house.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going to try to make my chapters longer like this one instead of super short ones like the first chapter.

Please please comment!