Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 1

I looked down at the grave, then up at the distant figures, who continued vandalizing cemetery property. Picking up the small broken pieces they had kicked to the ground, a tear slid down my cheek. 'The nerve of some people', I thought. I looked up at the grave, which now stood, half shattered. 'David Remington-White 1989-2006', was what it said. David died only two months ago and he gravestone was already ruined. I broke down crying, watching the figures laugh in the distance.

"Why am I so alone now?" I cried, picking up the small pieces and assorting them in my hand. "We promised we'd always be there for each other... and now you're gone... you promised Davey... you promised you would be here, remember? You promised!"

A boy’s voice startled me from behind. "Are you okay?"

I turned around and saw a shadowy figure, which held out his hand politely. I shrunk back nervously.

"It's okay... I won't hurt you." He had light skin, I could tell, because it was the only thing that didn't blend in with the surroundings. He was wearing jeans... a darker shade of them, they weren't as baggy as guys usually wore them, he was wearing a black sweater that had some kind of logo on it I couldn't read and his hood was up. He had something reflecting by his mouth and it took me a few moments to realize it was a lip ring. That was the only part of his face you could see. The rest was covered by long strands of dark hair swished across his eyes.

I continued to stand my ground, wondering what it was exactly that this boy was doing here.

"Okay then." He took his hand from the air and just sat next to me. I pushed the grave pieces over so he wouldn't sit on them.

"Who are you?" I asked, huddling my legs; afraid for some odd reason.

"Ace. What about you?" He looked at me kindly, observing my current state. I tried to put up a sheild: to block him out. He put out his hand, as if to touch my face, sending me backwards in shock. "Settle down... you're going to hurt yourself," he stated.

"No," I yelled and I did my best to stand up and run, but he started chasing me before violently tackling me to the ground.

"What do you want?" I cried more than once, keeping my eyes closed, afraid for what would happen. He sighed and stood up, grabbing my hand as he tried to help me up with him. Around the same time I felt like giving in and giving him a chance, so did my legs... and every other part of my body.