Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 11

"Jayden, where were you today?" My mother asked at supper.

"I was at school."

She put her fork down and pierced her eyes into mine. Noticing a commotion, my dad looked up from his plate. "Busted," he said.

"The school phoned Jayde, I want to know where you went."

"I didn't go anywhere," I protested.

"Jayden, I'm very disappointed in you. Your principal took the time to call my up personally and tell me you weren't in class this afternoon. He told me how strange he thought it was, since you've been doing so well in school."

I looked at the ground, trying to think of a way past her. "I went for a walk, okay? I didn't feel like I could concentrate today. I'm sorry."

"He also mentioned how he noticed you were hanging around one of his problem students today. Don't you be getting yourself into trouble. First it's skipping school... then it's smoking and drinking, then it's drugs, and then who knows what! If I get as much as one phone call telling me you're in trouble- you're going to be grounded until you're twenty."

I rolled my eyes. "Ace isn't a problem student- he's nice."

She flew her hands in the air and shook her head like a crazy lady, while I saw a small smirk start to form on my father's face. "He? He's a boy? You're hanging around with a boy? You are in so much trouble. Go- go up to your room- and don't come out for the rest of the night."

I sighed and got up from the table, heading to my room. I quietly closed the door and sat on my bed in the dark. I wondered if David could feel anything in the state he was in now... if he could think. If he could... did he think about me?

I thought about what Ace had asked at lunch, 'Did I believe in angels'? I don't know, do I? Did I believe David was an angel now? I guess so... I didn't know what else I could believe he was. Good people turned into angels after they died didn't they?

I thought about Ashley. I'd known her since I was little, our parent's were friends. It just turns out... we weren't as close. I mean... we were friends, you can't expect to know someone that long and not be friends... we just... weren't best friends.

I thought about what my mom had said. She was disappointed in me. How did that make me feel? Like a let down. I should have been at school- for all she knew I could have been mugged in an alley on the way to school... or worse, I could have ended up like David.

I came to the conclusion that bad things happen to good people. You read about it all the time- it's all over.