Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 110

None of the nurses had told me to leave. Not once during the entire time I was there. They knew me. They knew my story- my secret. They knew Ace and his story. They weren't going to do anything... they were sympathetic.

I felt as if I were in a trance. This couldn't be happening- not again. It couldn't have happened the first time.

***flashback***

I creaked open the bathroom door, but there was something behind it, keeping it shut. I pushed harder when I noticed the shattered glass on the floor. That was before I saw the blood. And the fingers. And the hand... followed by the arm...

***end of flashback***

How could this happen? I should have kept an eye on him. Angel and I shouldn't have left him alone. Angel. The Care Center! They'd be wondering where he was!

I swung my legs over the side and crept quitely across the room and into the hall down to the payphone. I dialed in the familiar numbers and hard the secretary answer, "Hello, McKellar Care House, this is Gina speaking. How may I help you?"

"Hi," I started. "This is Jayde Mitchells, I'd like to report that Ace Rivers will not be returning this evening."

"I'm aware of that- the hospital called earlier once they realized it was Ace, Jayde- everything's alright."

"Oh- okay."

"Alright- thank you anyways. Bye."

"Bye," I said and hung up, walking back to the room.