Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 115

Someone walked in the room and I figured it was just another nurse come to make my day a little bit worse. But it wasn't. The screeching of the sneakers told me it was someone much younger than that- someone with a shitty posture. Jayde.

"Good morning," I heard her say, imagining her smiling as I remained the other way stubbornly.

"Ergh- what makes everyone think it's so great," I groaned.

"Oh- someone's grumpy!"

I sighed, throwing the blankets back down. "I'm sorry. I got an early wake up call from 'Jeff the shitty shrink'," said as I rolled my eyes.

"I thought you didn't mind him."

"Yea. Well I found out he's a prick. He doesn't know what he's talking about and he doesn't want to help me. He threatened to throw me in a mental hospital just for thinking."

"Ace," she started, sitting beside the bed. "Are you sure you're not just over-reacting... I mean- you've been through a lot. I'm sure what's going through your mind right now is a little odd."

"Jayde," I begged. "Please... please don'ttell me you're on his side. You're all I've got."

"I'm not on his side. I'm just saying that you need to just relax for now. Just let everyone else deal with your problems- that's why you have all these people here for you. Take advantage of it."

"But Jayde- I don't want the help..."

"But you need it. Alright? Just accept it for now and see how everything goes. Now... I brought you something," she stated with a smile and dug into the depths of her pocket. I watched in suspense, keeping my eyes on her hand when I saw she had finally grasped onto what she was looking for.

"Here," she said, lifting my iPod out of her pocket and across the air to my hand.

I smiled, "Thanks."

"No problem. I figured you might like it. I thought it'd be able to keep you company. I figured it would help you a bit."

I hated to admit it, but she thought right. I smiled real big and slowly began to laugh as she smiled down on me.