Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 119

I would probably get a cold from walking this far in the rain. I would probably get grounded for a month for deliberately disobeying my parents. I would probably be told to leave as soon as I got there and have to turn back. I pulled my sweater closer to my body and quickened my pace before I raced through the doors and made my way down the warm halls of the hospital.

I peered in the small glass window of the hospital room to see it unoccupied, and only Ace's frail figure curled up near the window. I invited myself in and greeted Ace with a friendly, "Hello."

There was no answer, he just contnued to watch the miserable weather while hugging his knees.

"You want me to leave," I asked.

He shook his head, but remained silent.

I shrugged and took off my sweater placing it on a hanger before I sat down in a chair and patiently sat there for the comment of the day; Ace's complaint.

"They're sending me to Ohio," he grimly stated after a period of at least five minutes.

"What?"

"You heard me," he stated.

"Who is?"

"I don't know. Next Monday, they're sending me to Ohio to live with my grandparents."

"Why?"

"You gonna ask me how too? I don't know! I don't know- All I know, is Jeff and some prick manager walked in here and told me they're sending me away. I don't even know my grandparents! They probably think it's my fault that my parents are dead- they.... ergh, help me... How do I get out of this?"

I opened my mouth. "They... can't do that- can they?"

He sighed, "They said it has something to do with me not having a legal guardian."

"But you've gone a month without a legal guardian- and even if you had one, you wouldn't be living with them! I don't understand..."

"Neither do I."

"I don't want you to leave," I stated. "What am I going to do? I'll be all alone again! Don't go."

"I know- But I don't have any control, they're making me go!"

"Oh God," I said loudly and put my head in my hands in despair.

"Well- I'll write... I guess."

I looked up and evilly glared at him from across the room. "Thanks, that's a comforting thought- you'll write! What about Angel, you're leaving him too. Why? This doesn't make any sense."

"Settle down, you're tasking this worse that I did! I;m the one being disowned and sent away to live with people I've never even met!"

I took a heavy breath. "I'm sorry. God this sucks... Will they let you out of here?"

"What?"

"The hospital! Will they let you out of here until then," I asked excitedly.

"I don't... know."

"Can you find out," I asked quietly in a mess.

He looked at me for the first time that evening and nodded, "Yea... alright... sure. I probably won't know until tomorrow though."

"Will they let me stay here," I asked.

"I don't know- I think so. Why wouldn't you be able to?"

"I don't know," I whimpered and moved next to him at his spot by the windowcill.

This was the last week I would be able to see Ace for... Maybe forever. Or a very, very long time... I didn't know what to think.