Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 129

I tapped the small plastic bank card against my knee anxiously as I looked out the window to the approaching mall. A smile crept over my lips as I began to get excited- I was finally going to do something right.

"What is it exactly that you plan on getting," Jeff asked after clearing his throat and quickly glancing at me from the corner of his eye before reutrning his eyes to the road.

I sighed, deep in thought. "I don't know. But I'll know when I see it, I'll know..."

He smiled and chuckled like Santa Clause. "Alright." He looked around frandtically for a parking space before he but infront of another car and remarked with a light laugh, "I'm a bad driver, I know."

I almost forgot what I was there for once I got in the doors and looked around at my surroundings. The air was so sweet inside the building, I could almost call this santuary. But in reality, I had my mind focused and I knew exactly where I wanted to go. So I made my way through the crowded hallway in a quickened fashion to the other end of the mall, which was the pleasent location of the only real jewellery store in the shopping center.

I walked into it and observed the typical peieces on display: the fancy engagement rings (not exactly fit for the occasion), the pearly bracelets and the overly decorated, heavy necklaces that seemed like a hastle to wear. I didn't want my necklace to be a hastle for Jayde to wear. I really couldn't picture any of these things on Jayde anyways, she was too special for these typical things.

As I got bored of searching, I walked up to the clerk, who was suspiciously watching me the entire time, and asked her, "Do you have anything that isn't so... dressy? I'm looking for something nice for my friend. I'm moving and I just want to get her something special... but I don't want it to be something that can only be worn on special occasions, or that would seem like a burden to have."

"What did you have in mind," she asked curiously, realizing that I wasn't there to rob her.

"I'm thinking a necklace," I stated, making on odd, nervous motion with my hands near my neck.

She smiled, revealling a mouthful of diamond sparkling teeth. She silently nodded and whipped around behind the counter and to the back of the store, coming back with 3 closed boxes. "You might be interested in these," she implied as she began to lecture me about what they were made of before she finally opened them.

Until then, I was filled with excitement, the woman working had created a great deal of suspence for me, which in the end, wasn't worth it. The three boxes containing the necklaces she had in mind just didn't give me that satisfied feeling I was looking for. I told her 'thank you', politely and gave an acknowledging wave as I left the store, trying all to hard not to show my disapointment.