Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 130

My hopes had been smashed. I sighed and began dragging my feet, but as I left the jewlery store, something caught my eye across the way. I'm not sure if it was the glare or a metal, or what, but I curiously walked up the the booth. It was an engraving booth. I spun around each display case, trying to find interest in the things they had. And I really didn't. I had lost interest in the event all together. Until something caught my eye again- as if it were calling me.

I moved towards the small display case and spun it slowly to reveal what was shining so brightly to catch my attention so desperately. A tweet of a smile appeared and I lifted my fingers to it and opened the small silver, heart-shaped locket. The inside was smooth and flat- I had never seen a locket like this before.

I stood up tall and brought my attention to the clerk. "Excuse me, but what's this," I aske,d pointing out the small necklace.

The woman smiled snecerely and sighed before she walked over to me and adjusted her glasses. Her honey coloured hair was greying and pinned back in the top of her neck in a neat bun.

"It's a locket," she stated. "It's very special. It holds a memory of a different kind other than a picture. It holds the memory of words. You simply pick a message, usually a few words- not a lot can fit into this little heart," she stated kindly. "But it makes the same differnce, maybe more. Are you looking for something in particular?"

I smiled and looked up at her, "I think I just found it."

Her nimble fingers carefully took the piece of jewlery from it's place and dangled it in the air for a few seconds before placing it carefully on the counter. "What would you liek to put in it?"

I thought. And thank God there was nobody behind me, because they would have had a long wait, because it took me a long time to think or anything that special. At first, I thought of putting something as simple as Thanks. But I deicded that would have very little sentimental value.

I began to think of the last couple months and what's happened. And I remembered something very fresh in my memory: the CD I had bought for Jayde yesterday. There was a song on that very CD that stuck to my mind, and it's lyrics turned on the lightbulb that would make this gift perfect.

The paper had been placed infront of me, and I simply had to write down what it was to say. When I got the impression that I knew what to write down, I noticed the woman smile at me as I quickly picked up the pencil and held it to the paper. Was I sure this was what I wanted? Of course- it was brilliant. I had to use it... I would curse myself if I didn't.

I quickly scribbled down what I had to, sighed it at the bottom and paid for it after asking, "It is silver, right?" Getting nothing but a humble nod from the friendly woman. I had been told that my gift would be done in about 10 minutes, and both sides of the inside of the locket would need to be used to inscribe my message. I simply nodded- I didn't care, as long as it was there.

I walked to the nearest bench and sat down contently before Jeff sat next to me. "I havn't seen you this happy in a while..."

"I'm doing the right thing, aren't I? I'm finally doing something right. It's so perfect...."

"Did you want to buy a card? There's a Hallmark down the mall."

I shook my head. "No... no- I'm wiritng a letter," I said surely. "A card isn't enough.... I'm writing a simple letter. She'd like that."