Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 134

When I got home that afternoon, I rushed to my room and closed the door quickly as my curiosity hit it's peek. I looked down at the package sitting neatly in my lap, and pulled the folded paper from the crease of ribbon before opening it to read it.

Jayde,
I'm already gone if you're reading this, but don't be sad. I promise I'll be back before long. I havn't given you enough credit for how much you and your family have done for me. I know I've done a hell of a lot to harm you in the time I've known you, and it seems, that in the end, it doesn't matter to you. Because you're still there when I wake up in the morning. I'm sorry. I've said it before, and I'll say it again- I'm sorry, because I've wronged you. I always thought I had it bad- but the thing to remember is there's always someone out there who's worse off then you... It's a logical theory. I might be gone, but I promise I'll be back for you one day, and I'll wait till then with so much antiscipation it makes my skin crawl. Cause the truth is... I love you. I love you now, and I'll love you while I'm halfway across the country, and when I come back I'll still love you. I don't know how, or why- but I do. And from what I hear, love don't need a reason, it just is. Please don't freak out. I have a feeling you won't. Please, try and let your parents understand me... and take care of Angel. Make sure the two of you take care of eachother. I got you a present, I hope you like it... I know I thought it'd be perfect. Hold on while I'm gone, remember bad things pass. I'm not done with you yet...

Love Always,
Ace.


I smiled and refolded the paper gracefully with a new warmth inside before placing it safely in my pocket and turning my attention to the box. I tugged lightly at the ribbon and let it fall to the floor. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before I opened the lid to reveal a perfect, silver, heart-shaped locket. I smiled and picked it up, entwining it in my fingers. My heart was beating quickly with excitement and a new feeling. He hadn't had to get me anything, I knew he knew that. And he did it anyways....

I walked over to the mirror and moved my hair away from my neck, placing my newest and most treasured gift safely around my neck before I liften it before my eyes and opened it. There, inscribed in the silver, was a message,

You're still my everything.

It was at that point in time that I realized that Ace was right- There was always someone less fortunate then you, and they aren't always under your nose. The world may be big, but your community is amazingly small. It was weird to think of how painfully Ace and I had been connected all along. But what had sprouted from our friendship was forgiveness for the loss of an old friend, who I had decided, had accomplished what he needed here on Earth. Life's purpose is what you make of it. The places you go, and the accomplishments you make in the process. Ace had accomplished his fears here, and he would accomplish something else in Ohio. I... had overcome myself in the most serene ways. And I had Ace to thank for that.

Everyone's going to leave you at one point or another. It could be a minute, a day, a week, a month, a year or two, and most possibly, forever. You just need to accept that nomatter where they are, they're still with you- it was just their time to go.