Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 17

I felt scared letting him go home every day after school from then on. I gave him my cell phone to use for the week and told him to phone after school every day, to see how things were doing. By the end of the week, I decided I should introduce him to my parents, so he didn't have to sneak in all the time. Friday afternoon, I stood outside my front door, trying to make Ace look presentable through my parents’ eyes. "Stay here, okay, I'm just going to tell them you're here first."

"Okay."

"I pushed open the screen door to see me parents on the couch. My mother was knitting and my dad was reading the paper. "Mom, Dad, I have someone I want you to meet," I said anxiously.

They both looked up from what they were doing and put on a fake smile. "Alright."

I sighed, and opened the door. Ace looked at the ground before he stepped in the door. "Don't be nervous," I said, patting his shoulder.

He nodded, "What if they don't like me?"

"Don't be ridiculous, they'll love you."

"Hi... we're Jayden's parents. And you are?" My mother said, getting up from the couch and walking over to the door, as my father followed behind her almost as soon as Ace stepped in the door.

"Ace... Rivers," he addressed quickly.

"So...Ace- that's quite the cut you've got there," my father remarked.

"Yea, uh," Ace started, swinging his hair in his face again. "I... fell while I was...skateboarding."

"Those things are so bloody dangerous," my mom stated.

"That's why I don't skateboard anymore," Ace said and the beginning of a smile started on his face.

"Hey, I'll be right back, I'll leave you guys to... get acquainted. Daddy- Be nice." I said, and stepped past everyone and down the hallway to my room, where I dumped my school bag on the floor and made my way across the hallway to the bathroom.