Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 18

When I got out, I paused in the hallway, well hidden behind a corner a quietly listened to the living room conversation.

"Do you drink; Smoke? Do any illegal substances?" Dad asked quickly. My jaw dropped.

"No sir."

"I see. Do you have any sexual intentions with my daughter?"

"Dad," I exclaimed and barged in the room. "You can't just ask people that!"

"Let the boy answer," he nodded, adjusting his glasses with a light smirk.

Ace looked down at the floor, turning slightly pinker than he usually would be- who wouldn't, it was an uncomfortable question. "No sir- I have nothing but the best respectful intentions for your daughter. She's really helped me out over the last week and a bit- she's been a real friend. I want you to know you raised her really well; she's a good girl."

My mother giggled her usual valley girl giggle, "Why thank you. You seem light you were brought up really well too young man- such manners."

That was it. That was the sentence that was going to ruin it all if I didn't get him out of there right now. He looked over at me- and the look in his eyes changed as he looked at the floor. "I wish I could say that," was all he said.

I walked over and simply said, "I'm sorry to ruin your company, but we have homework," and I lead Ace down the hallway to my room and heard my dad call, "Leave the door open," after us.

"I'm sorry... I didn't think that would go that way... I really-"

"Jayde, it's alright. They didn't know that."

"Still," I started and pulled him in for a hug.

"We should... do our homework, before someone walks in here." I nodded and watched as he dumped his bag upside down, letting his schoolbooks fall to the floor.