Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 19

My mom popped her head in the doorway, “Ace, will you be staying for supper?”

Ace looked at me, at her, and back at me. “Uh… I don’t know. Would it be any trouble?”

“No, not at all,” she smiled.

Ace smiled back and bobbed his head, “I guess I can stay, as long as it’s not a hassle.”

My mother disappeared from the doorway and went back to the kitchen.

I sighed. I was getting bored of this English homework. I mean- who cares about some King dying a million years ago?

I looked down at Ace who was sprawled across the carpet on his stomach- he looked just as interested in his Math homework., as I was with my English

"Almost done," I asked, trying to rush the last page of useless questions.

"Yea," Ace stated. "Actually, right about... now." He put down his pencil and closed his math book and started swinging his legs back and forth like a little child.

"What about you?"

"Almost, just wait," I said and flipped through the book, trying to find the answer for the last question ans my Dad appeared in the doorway.

"How's the homework going?"

"I'm almost done," I remarked, and quickly scribbled down the answer.

"What about you, Ace?"

"Uh- yea, I'm done."

"What did you have?"

"Math."

"You like math much, Ace?"

"No- not really. I'm just good at it."

"Well- that's good. Anyways kiddies, suppers ready- you should go wash up."

"Okay Dad," I said as I slipped my books back into my bag, throwing them off to the side.