Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 2

"You okay," he asked, standing over me, waving his hand in front of my face. I calmed myself down as best I could and looked up at the boy, who cocked an eyebrow and held out his hand. "You going to run away this time?"

I shook my head and held out my hand to greet his and he pulled me upwards.

"What's your name," he asked.

I looked at his grinning face, wondering if I should even tell him. "Jayde..."

"Well Jayde... you don't have a very good way of handling yourself. You should be more mellow."

"You're one of them, aren't you... you ruined his gravestone! What's the matter with you guys? Have you no respect for the dead?" I said harshly, talking with my hands.

He sighed and answered with a hint of wittiness, "Yea, I do; that's why I was here in the first place... and how dare you confuse me for one of them." The seriousness of his statement was ended with a grin before he asked, "Who's grave were you at anyways?"

"My... best friends," I told him. "He died in a car accident two months ago."

"Best friend? With benefits?"

I shook my head and wiped my face with my sleeve. What a rude thing to say. I began getting on his case: getting defensive. "No. Look... Why are you here? In the cemetery... By David's grave... Why did you talk to me?"

"I'm here because my mother died of cancer a few years back. Okay, good enough reason? I was walking by your friends grave because it was on the way down the path and I talked to you because I thought I'd be a nice guy and see what was going on. Obviously nice deeds don't go easy nowdays..."

He seemed snobby... but maybe it was just a phase.

"I didn't need your help."

"Sure you didn't..." I watched him roll his eyes.

"Are you going to stay here insulting me or what?" I asked.

He held out his hand again... this time to help me stand. "No. I was wondering if you need a walk home," and he smiled genuinely. I looked up at him with a quick expression of shock and tried my best to smile back and got up myself, ignoring the fact that his hand has only a few centimeters from mine. I looked up at him and sighed before stating, "Fine."