Sequel: Running With Scissors

Those Worse Off Than You

Part 22

"I'm really sorry about my dad. He really isn't usually like that."

"He's only looking out for you- you should be thankful you have a father like that."

"Yea... I-I guess you're right."

It was quiet except for the crickets as I slipped my hand into his. It was an odd moment. But I knew he wouldn't take it the wrong way. He was a friend. And I appreciated what he was doing for me as much as he appreciated whatever I was doing for him.

I smiled when I noticed him looking at me. "You should smile more," he remarked.

"I already do," I stated.

A long screech and swerving headlights up ahead ruined the perfect moment. It was probably another intoxicated teen driving home from a party gone bad.

Once the car got closer, Ace harshly pushed me into the closest bush.

"Stay there," he ordered.

"What? What are you doing?"

"Just stay there, no matter what happens, just stay there. Don't move."

"I don't understand."

"Just promise," he whispered as the car came to a screeching halt and an unstable, overweight, balding man stepped out of the driver’s side, stumbling over to the sidewalk.

My heart was viciously pounding out of my chest.

"What are you doing boy," the man slurred and hit Ace across the face.

"Nothing." He looked down at the pavement, trying not to make eye contact.

"I've been lookin’ for ya- you think you can hide from yer ol’ man?"

"No- I... I wasn't hiding- I swear."

"Did you say something?" The man grabbed him by the collar and launched him forward, so he landed face first on the pavement.

"No," Ace muttered.

"Are you talking to me? Get in the car," the man kicked him hard, making he fall once more.

"I am."

"Get moving!" The man began to scream and picked Ace up by his collar and dragged him over to the car as he attempted to stand up numerous times, telling the man to 'stop; it hurt'. The man only replied with a smack to the face, or another violent gesture.

After struggling to get Ace into the car, the man got into the driver's seat and began driving swiveling away down the street.

After they were out of sight, I brought my hand to my mouth and tried to catch my breath, consuming what had just happened.

I could have stopped it- I know I could have. I began sobbing, and tears began rolling down my face. I sat in the dark; shocked; not knowing what to do before I ran home as fast as I could, feeling like my lungs were going to burst.